Author Topic: Reducing Hours at Work  (Read 5365 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Reducing Hours at Work
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
I really need tor educe my hours at work. In the interview they said that it'd be between 16-22 hours. So far i've been working apprx 37 on average, and I just can't do it. I'm trying to study full time for my MSc aswel and that is really suffering because I just don't have the free time to work. It's starting to have a negative impact on my relationships my health everything.

I find it **really** hard to stand up for myself and be assertive, i just say 'yes' to everything i'm asked and i probably have the reputation of being a pushover. It's only a christmas temp job and so i'm due to leave at the end of decemeber anyway. So I don't care if it makes the other staff or managers dislike me.

What should I do? How can I go about it? And .. I know this is going to sound utterly pathetic and ridiculous but could I get my mum to ring in and speak to a manager on my behalf and get them to alter my rota? My mum is happy to do so, but i'm like 26 years old so i know it looks pretty pathetic, but i'm literally so petrified of speaking up for myself that i'd rather just work the hours and let my life fall apart...

HELP!!
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Reducing Hours at Work
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
Do you have a temp contract? If so, i'd get your mum to quote it to them, as they will of signed to agree the reduced hours.

Sod work, your health is more important as is your MSc xx :hug1:

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Re: Reducing Hours at Work
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:24 AM »
Thank you for the advice. :hug1:

I still havn't had the courage to do anything about it. There isn't much longer left on my temp contract now so I'm going to just finish it.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."