Author Topic: Going on holiday  (Read 5577 times)

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Going on holiday
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
The title is a term my IRL friends have used to describe one of my most pervasive 'states'. I don't know what else to call it. People will talk to me, I will be monosyllabic, and someone else will say "She's on holiday" by way of explanation. Invariably then the other person will say "Ah ok" and know to leave me alone. It usually lasts a couple of weeks, and then people will say "Oh, you're back again" because I'm my usual talkwaytoomuch self.

It's not being sad, or manic, or unwell as I know it. I function perfectly well in terms of looking after the banshees, getting them to school, cleaning the house etc. I am EXTREMELY stressy and irritable, but neither sad nor happy.

Mostly it's just I don't know what to say to people. I don't want to talk to people, it seems like too much effort. I usually decide I don't like most of them anyway. I can be quite rude/abrupt (those who know me have come to accept this as part and parcel) and I do not want people to talk to me either. I just want to be on my own. I dont want people around me either, with their noise and their talking. I just want quiet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's like having a brain that's only mine for 50% of the time... the rest it's had enough, packed it's bags and left.
A woman who writes feels too much,
those trances and portents!
As if cycles and children and islands
weren't enough; as if mourners and gossips
and vegetables were never enough.
She thinks she can warn the stars.

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
Re: Going on holiday
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
I get something similar.

I just dont want to talk, dont feel like, dont know what to say and every little noise annoys the f*ck out of me.
Its been known for me to scream at someone to shut up because they were eating too loudly. Actually thats a bad example, I would do that any time but Im sure you get the jist that when I am in that place I have no filter to stop what I am feeling coming out.

Its also when I am like that, that I can stare at the wall for hours without moving and its like its the most important thing in the universe!!

I dont have any useful advice but youre not alone.

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Going on holiday
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
Thankyou for the reply. I don't do the staring at the wall thing... staring gormlessly at a computer screen is my normal thing.

I don't know if it's that I have no filter, I have that when I'm unwell and it's very scary what I end up saying/doing. Fortunately the tegretol seems to be working in that respect. This is the tail end of an episode although I don't think that's the usual pattern else I'd just put it down to that.
A woman who writes feels too much,
those trances and portents!
As if cycles and children and islands
weren't enough; as if mourners and gossips
and vegetables were never enough.
She thinks she can warn the stars.