Author Topic: Invalidation  (Read 4393 times)

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
Invalidation
« on: June 14, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »

I came across this on Facebook. I don't have bpd but still found I could relate to what she says. Thought others might find it helpful. X x

http://lifeinabind.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/bpd-invalidation-standing-accused-of-fraud/

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Invalidation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
Thank u for sharing that xx

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »
I don't have BPD, but do self harm. I'm not sure I've ever been invalidated like this. My upbringing was full of love and I was always encouraged to share my emotions. Lots of hugs, kisses, bedtime stories, smiles, laughter... Also, and I guess it might be a bit unusual, but whenever I've been in hospital for mental health reasons, I've had "get well" cards, fruit, flowers etc brought in for me.

With my diagnosis, it's a weird one. I didn't know about it until a doctor who didn't know me let it slip during a mental health act assessment. He'd read it on my notes. I've always been told that my behaviour/thoughts/feelings are due to being unwell. I'm not sure it made me feel validated. I mean, in some ways it's been positive because I can attribute what I'm like to something, but at the same time, it kind of invalidated me. Not in the way that I feel like a fraud, but in the way that I feel as though things I think/feel are not real - they're all part of an illness. That's not the case, even though I'm told it is. That can be equally as invalidating, if that makes sense?
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Emmz

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
Thank you for sharing x
Living is a problem because everybody dies

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
I really relate to that ... Thanx for sharing x
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:26:12 AM »
I think different things resonate for different people. For me it was less about the poem and other people's opinions and more about the internal voice invalidating myself.