Author Topic: CPN - what do they do, experiences, info etc please  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
CPN - what do they do, experiences, info etc please
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
Things haven't been good recently and the T has suggested I ask the Psych for a CPN.  I know what it stands for but not a lot else. Any idea of what they do and if there is a point or not.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Puffin

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: CPN - what do they do, experiences, info etc please
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »
 they can meet you regularly - anywhere from weekly to monthly. They risk assess. They can signpost to other services. But sounds like you have some other support? They do the paperwork. Can attend psychiatrist appointments with you. Can be a care coordinator. Most are not therapists and cannot so deep therapy - they are nurses trained in mental health. They can refer to day units, hospitals. Often can phone them 9-5, but cannot always speak straight away.

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
They can do a wide variety of things. Mine offered regular meetings for advice and support. I can contact him if I'm not coping. I don't have a psychiatrist so my cpn has been in charge of my medication. He tells the gp what to prescribe me. Mine is a trained therapist too and more recently has switched primarily to that role but I think that's unusual. My cpn has been a huge support. I don't know how I would have got through the past year without him.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
At the moment I have a Psychiatrist and a Therapist and I don't take any medication. So I'm not sure that they would really be able to do very much. I can't work out if this is because the new Psychiatrist isn't as accessible when I need to say something to someone or if it is because every thing got a lot more scary very quickly recently.

I cut and it took me 2 1/2 hours to make myself get any help despite not being able to control the bleeding.  I then had it closed under general anaesthetic because it was too deep to use local. I've not done anything like that before and it sort of made everyone flip a bit. The therapist offered a choice between staying at my parents or admission,  the called my mum (with my permission)  to explain it. Then the psychiatrist said I shouldn't go home for at least 6 weeks and I've been signed off work as well.

Would a 3rd person make things more complicated?
Do they have to see people at home? When I am at home I don't allow other people into my flat, would that be a problem?

I don't know if the therapist suggested it to sort or share things out a bit so she isn't left picking up the pieces and trying to do something with them, or if it is because of the state I got into before that.

I don't go anywhere or do anything except work (when I'm allowed)  and it has got to the point that it is difficult to manage because of not being able to go to shops and stuff...but would a CPN help with stuff like that?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
I wasn't comfortable seeing cpn at home so have always gone to his office. That's my choice. My cpn has been good with advice and strategies for dealing with stuff in my daily life. I would advise you to give it a go. No two people are the same and roles vary somewhat from place to place. If you don't get on with them  or feel they have nothing to offer you can always say no thanks but if you don't give it a go you might miss out on something really helpful.

Offline Frozen

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
My CPN acts as my care coordinator and refers me on to other services- she was who referred me to day hospital and to a local mental health charity and she comes to my other appointments with therapists or psychiatrists to act as an advocate. She also really helps me with keying in to services and getting out the house- she takes me dog walking and organised for one of her colleagues to take me to a mind group so I wouldn't have to go in on my own. As well as acting as my first port of call if I'm struggling, so available (or someone from the same team) from 7-9pm weekdays for me to contact if I'm struggling. I've found having one really helpful, sometimes she comes to my house but mostly I see her at the local satellite clinic.
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
-Samuel Butler