Author Topic: Really Low Self-Esteem / Confidence - help / support?! *may trig sui sh*  (Read 6952 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
I have been struggling with very low self esteem and confidence for years. I've got completly ingrained into the negative thoughts about how stupid ugly and worthless I am and I struggle to snap out of it. When the fits of depression and self hatred come upon me it absolutly consumes me.

It happened on Friday I suddenly felt such self-hatred and loathing. I felt consumed by anger and hatred. I just hatred everyone around me and hated myself even more. I wanted to cut my face because I felt it was ugly and deserved it. I didn't - and I hope I never would - but the desire was very strong. I felt suicidal because of how much I hated myself. I had decided that I was ugly, and every other girl I saw looked beautiful. My hair is all wrong, my face all wrong, my clothes all wrong. I just wanted to save up for plastic surgery to fix me.

At the time I felt as though it was a reflection of reality; the truth. Now i'm wondering how much of it is my brain, how much of it is just my twisted thoughts. I don't know for sure. But I would like to try and improve the way I see myself and to feel more confident and happy in the way I look and the person that I am. It's just so hard especially after years of talking myself down all the time.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? I feel like i'm the only one sometimes. Though I am sure i'm probably not.

How can I start to work on my confidence?

"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Jsnuk

• First posts
Re: Really Low Self-Esteem / Confidence - help / support?! *may trig sui sh*
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:08:06 PM »
I can definitely say you're not the only one. This is something I also greatly struggle with, it is the prime trigger that causes me to self harm. It is quite emotional really, as everything you said I would have said if I was the opener of this thread. You took the words right out of my mind. So, most assuredly, don't feel alone with those feelings. I understand completely and I'm sure many others here do too (although I've not been here long enough to know, unfortunately).

As for actually helping to improve the situation... it's certainly not easy. What I have found has helped me in the few instances it has been available is external validation from someone you trust/ believe. Someone you know honestly finds you attractive and is willing to show it. The problem with this is that it is extremely hard to obtain if you feel so wretched about yourself in the first place. I found myself increasingly unwanted, which of course made my feelings about my looks and my self esteem drop, and continue to drop with each new failure. I don't know if this is a feeling you are familiar with.

So, to that end my advice is to find someone who you think would appreciate you as you are and then *try* to ignore your feelings for a bit and see where that takes you. I mean obviously that's an extremely difficult task, and just one glance in the mirror can set back the entire process. But just forcefully try to disassociate yourself from your feelings about yourself. Try to imagine them as an entirely different person, not part of you, a person you can argue with, and win.

So, the short version is, find someone who you like and and can grow to trust and respect who is willing to be there with you and try to hold back the feelings while in the initial period of your relationship.

Probably not the best advice, given that I still struggle daily with this issue, but I'm trying to be as honest and helpful as I can.

Also, obligatory  :1059:

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
Hey, thank you so much for the kind considered reply, it means a lot to me  :hug2:

You have made some really interesting points, and i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels like this, though by the same account i'm sad that you have to go through it too! If that makes sense,

I think your right about trying to distance myself from the thoughts and not let them consume me so much. If i can fight them as soon as i sense it coming on rather than giving in to the bad thoughts and letting them take over. Easier said than done though, but one can try!!

Can anyone reccomend a good boosting self confidence / esteem book or website? It'd be good to have something to work through that'd help.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Jsnuk

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
No problem, and thank you for a being sad for me ;)

Yeah it is much easier said than done, I mean I'm the sort of person to give out advice that I believe to be helpful and then not follow it myself, grade A emotional hypocrit. But just think, if you can manage it where I failed, you're instantly better than me and I admire your strength.

As for a good self esteem boosting source... I haven't read it properly, but I was recommended it by a friend who it really helped, he later bought it for me. He was very assured by it's usefulness. And if you can stomach that sort of thing, I think it could be helpful to you. I'll give you a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeling-Good-New-Mood-Therapy/dp/0380810336/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348443121&sr=1-1

Seems like a very practical and helpful guide, but I couldn't betray my other coping methods for it.

EDIT: I was looking for a helpful website after I posted this, but then I realize that the most helpful website is a place like this or Facebook, or anywhere where you can socially interact with other people who get it. Well, that seems the case to me, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:40:09 AM by Jsnuk »

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
search cci health on google
click resources (i think)
choose the self esteem workbook thingy itsplit into modules and is CBT based its very good but also quite hard work. PM me if you cant find it
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline pink fox

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
Hello, I'm afraid I don't know any good books or websites but occurred to me that you might be able to try music? I know you are looking for a longer-term solution but at those times when you are feeling really consumed by intense feelings I sometimes find it helps to alleviate it a bit and improve outlook on things.

PF xxx
Everybody says it's just another decay of the soul, but I know, I'm hopeless.

Pink Fox >> *cat*
  ;D

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
Thank you all for your kind replies. It really means a lot to me :-) I have bookmarked the CBT site, i'm going to try and work through the modules at home.

I've kind of decided to try the 'fake it till you make it approach' for the time being. It kind of helps strangely enough. If i pretend i'm confident, i feel more confident!