Author Topic: Acts of self kindness  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
Acts of self kindness
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
I struggle with self compassion and am working on improving it. I understand it intellectually and can come up with things to do for myself which are nice, caring, compassionate. I can even maintain that mindset for a certain length of time. I see the benefits. I like relaxation etc but sometimes, probably when worthlessness/ badness feelings are triggered I fight the compassion stuff. In time I hope to overcome this. I’m sure others face the same battle and wonder how they overcome it. And what acts of self kindness do you like doing?

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
Re: Acts of self kindness
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 04:27:20 AM »
Hey i struggle with this too. My best form of self care is a nap. I can chill and watch netflix etc but then i just feel guilty. All the traditional self care i struggle with a bit.
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »
Sleep is restorative isn’t it?  :)

A hot drink, whilst a complete cliche  ::), also helps me sometimes.

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
I have terrible Insomnia and i was told to have a whole bedtime routine including a bubble bath etc. I live in Australia so all I ended up feeling was either very hot or if I tried to cool the water down it was too cold I couldn't seem to find a middle ground so that was a fail  :doh:

I have a bullet Journal with moods and gratitude etc in but I decorated in pretty colours and stickers etc. It's relaxing but it keeps my hands busy and is practical so it doesn't feel like a waste of time.
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
Your bullet journal sounds beautiful!

Offline yrangelion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
I struggle with self-kindness too, I am trying to work on it, but I'll be honest I am struggling with it today xx
when you feel like giving up, think of all the reasons you've held on for so long!! :)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
Hello! What a great post. :)

I like:

- Having a shower with delicious smelling shower gel.
- Spending time on my appearance (applying light makeup and curling my hair.)
- Going for a paddle in the sea and smelling the sea air.
- Making myself good food.
- Using my neck massager.

I think my issue is that I'm OK at doing nice things for myself when I'm feeling well, but when things are rubbish I lose the motivation to do anything. So I don't shower for days/weeks, don't leave the house, don't cook etc. It's a hard thing.
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline happy girl

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Barcelona !
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 02:34:19 AM »
Have you had cbt ?

It helps challenge the addiction of past behaviour and triggers. Self harm is an addiction, so are all our reactions to triggers .

You can change your reactions and behaviours with the right mindset and support.It takes hard work and effort but is worth it.

Self help books are a good starting point to help change your thinking and challenge self esteem issues x
Once you kill a cow, you gotta make a burger....