Author Topic: I feel such a fraud  (Read 52 times)

Offline Daisyduke74

• 18+
  • First posts
I feel such a fraud
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
 :sign0085: I've been considering seeking help for my SH, I've done SH before, think i cut it out for a while and then started again this past 12 months or so. I feel ok at the moment and haven't done anything for a couple of weeks (I think) but I recently told someone about it and that i've been struggling concentrating amongst other things. I know I wouldn't seek help when my mood goes down again, but then I feel a bit of a fraud if I seek help when at the minute i'm not SH even though my mind obviously isn't working as most people would consider normal. I guess it's probably normal but when i've spoken about my SH the urge becomes so strong afterwards, or is it just me?
I just don't know if i should go now or wait and see if i am getting better. Im not sure if i actually want to stop or not which I guess makes it harder? I don't really have any friends that I see or can talk to so I'm never too sure on what to do. I feel so confused. I guess i'm also nervous that if i go to the doctor i'll end up with meds and will have to have time off work which I really don't want to do... possibly weary of people finding out?

I also feel dumb now as I think i've just emptied my mind and words haven't come out particularly well  :blushing1:

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
Re: I feel such a fraud
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
 :happy020:

It's a bit of a problem when people won't actually go and seek help when they most need it - but that's understandable and part of the process. Reading through this post and the ones that you made almost a year ago, if you're feeling ok at the moment, have you thought about talking to your GP about it now so they are prepared for when you do start feeling low again? Many people go through such cycles, and getting some support ready for those times isn't a bad idea - and support doesn't have to be meds either, it all depends on what your reasons are for feeling that way - and that's something that can be addressed at any time.
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline Daisyduke74

• 18+
  • First posts
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:21:38 PM »
Hi Rob,
I have thought about trying to talk about it now when I知 more able to, but nervous of being dismissed because I知 not at my lowest if that makes sense? I知 by no means on top of the world but I知 nowhere near my worst either so I guess it痴 something I need to really consider but then think if I知 coping why take the time of the doctor when I知 sure there are others that need that time more. I知 just not very good at asking for or accepting help.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
I'm frequently told by various medical staff to seek help before things get really bad (though I don't usually realise when things are getting bad) so it's perfectly okay to go to your GP and get some help/advice. You don't have to take meds nor have time off work if you don't want to, your GP will work with you to do what's best for you.
RIP Clyde - November 25th 2018
RIP Bonnie - November 24th 2018
RIP Columbus - August 22nd 2018
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :1027: