Author Topic: I don't think I can stop?  (Read 66 times)

Offline Teebag

• First posts
I don't think I can stop?
« on: June 07, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
I started self-harming aged 11, and have continued to do so for 12 years (I'm 23 now). There were periods in which I stopped, but none of them lasted longer than 6 months...

I think that a part of me genuinely doesn't understand why I should stop, or why I can't just continue to hurt myself until the end of time. Another part of me wants to stop, and wants to be free. But I don't see how I can be... I've tried myself to stop hundreds of times, I've been begged and pleaded with by various people, and I've had two counsellors. But for some reason, I just can't stop. It's become almost like a dirty little secret now, something I still do that no-one knows about. Something I know I probably shouldn't be doing, but continue to do anyway. Sometimes I look at my skin and the hundreds of scars, and I even think to myself "You're running out of space now". Like my skin is a canvas which has been almost filled. Which has enough on it, and doesn't need more.

But I don't know how to stop. Sometimes when I do it, it's almost as if it's not even me doing it. Like I'm watching someone else do it, and before I can stop them, it's already done.

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: I don't think I can stop?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »
To stop you need to work on what lies behind the self harm. There is often trauma combined with poor coping mechanisms. Talk to us on here.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:02:39 AM »
Self harm is a complex issue and there are usually several reasons for it. It can take years to get to the root causes and for some it can be a life long issue. I personally have been self harming since I can remember and I'm 31. I think that it's a good idea to get help with a view to reducing self harm rather than completely stopping but chances are that getting the right treatment will erase the need to do it at all.
RIP Clyde - November 25th 2018
RIP Bonnie - November 24th 2018
RIP Columbus - August 22nd 2018
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :1027:

Offline happy girl

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Barcelona !
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:04:25 AM »
Are you getting therapy to work out maybe why you self harm?

Without that knowledge how can you be expected to stop? You canít!

The reasons why we self harm are usually deeply suppressed on a conscience level and a lot of mental and emotional interrogation is required before we understand our reasons. Thatís why talking therapy helps, and alongside that cutting out toxic relationships that stop you from moving forward

Good luck, Karen x
Once you kill a cow, you gotta make a burger....