Author Topic: Seeking a more appropriate Dx - advice? Experiences? *SH*  (Read 96 times)

Offline Kitters

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Seeking a more appropriate Dx - advice? Experiences? *SH*
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »
Modmins: I'm not sure if this is the appropriate board for this post, apologies if it's not!

My partner is urging me to be referred to the Access team to receive what she feels are more appropriate services, and possibly a diagnosis. I think she's not wrong, tbh. She believes (and I have suspected for 15 years) I have, or at least exhibit, traits of BPD/EUPD and it's impacting massively upon my life.

Is anyone willing/able to talk here, or via PM about their experience with the diagnostic process and subsequent treatment journey? Or have any advice?

I'm 30, have struggled with extremes of emotions, forming and maintaining stable relationships my whole life, and had SH/addictive/impulsive behaviours too.
I've been in this relapse for 3 years and it's getting worse rather than better. I've only accessed medication from my GP and recently some standard NHS 6 sessions of counselling (this time around) as I'm not sure I meet any criteria for any CMHT input, when I was 17 I was laughed out the door by them, so I'm terrified, honestly.

I wouldn't care about getting a diagnosis (I've been scared of that label being used for me, honestly!) but I wonder if a Dx would open more doors for more appropriate treatment?
I guess I'm fairly high functioning; have a job, almost finished uni, have a partner, all of which I'm putting in jeopardy with my inability to cope and my behaviour (down to part time, suspended studies due to ill MH, fighting with my partner.)

Master procrastinator

Occasional Crafter

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Seeking a more appropriate Dx - advice? Experiences? *SH*
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
I find a diagnosis can help you to understand yourself and the way work more clearly.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Kitters

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Yeah, I imagine it will help me feel more validated i my experiences and help me understand who I am.

I'm just so, so scared of being rejected by services, told I'm being dramatic,told to grow up. ARGH.

I just want to be able to cope with emotional distress, and not have it wreck my life.
Master procrastinator

Occasional Crafter

Online so sad

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:31:44 AM »
Hi

I'm 46 and was diagnosed with BDP/EUPD last Feb although I've clearly had the symptoms since I was a child. I started with depression at 13 and was self harming at 17. I couldn't control my emotions and they are always so intense. I was on meds from 18 and had a couple of pockets of counselling. I have had a couple of spells of a couple of years where my symptoms were more manageable. About 15 years ago things got a lot worse and I was put under CMHT. My CPN was useless but I got on well wit my psychiatrist. I did talk to him about EUPD and he said I had the traits but didn't want to give me a label. I had private therapy for 2.5 years with an amazing psychotherapist and when it stopped I felt like I'd lost part of my soul. I managed to maintain a bit of normality until 6 years ago.

During a routine psychiatrist app last year I was referred to a psychologist to look at where my issues stemmed from. Luckily, this guy was also a DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy) and he told me he thought I had EUPD/BPD and if I agreed would refer me to DBT. I started it last July and I will end it this July.

Its helped a lot (currently seriously struggling with it all coming to an end) - the skills are aimed at how to manage the strong emotions, how to communicate better and how to tolerate distress. This is all underpinned with mindfulness.

If you can get on it, I strongly recommend it.

I also take meds (quetiapine) which aren't helping anymore so I'm waiting to see my psych next month to discuss lamotrigine.

I think with the NHS its very hit and miss about who you see and what they believe in.

If you think you have BPD, write down a list of your symptoms that tie in with it. The GP/CPN should take that on board.

Good luck and please ask me anything

x

Offline Kitters

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:01 PM »
Thank you so much, So Sad!

I've been doing some blog reading to try and get some human answers to my questions, and it seems a common theme that many professionals are reluctant to diagnose patients. I get it, before now I don't think it would have helped me, I had some really good CAT and that helped me stabilise for about 8 years.

I'll definitely write down what I feel ties in with EUPD and see what they say. As long as they don't make me feel ashamed as though I'm just seeking attention I really don't mind if they disagree. I just want to learn to tolerate distress and communicate my needs better.

I may PM you after speaking with my counsellor tomorrow, if you don't mind?
Master procrastinator

Occasional Crafter

Online so sad

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:14 AM »
Hi

I'm really glad my message helped. I think BPD is more known about now and there has been a lot more research on it and how it works. There is something called a bio-social model that explains where it comes from - if you have time to google it check it out. Marsha Linehan created DBT so anything by her is trustworthy.

Please do pm me - I would love to know how you get on. I totally and utterly understand how intense and overwhelming the emotions and feelings are, I'll be thinking of you.

Online so sad

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 07:47:44 AM »
Hi

How did it go?

x

Offline Kitters

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
 :maytrigger:

Hiya,

Thanks for checking in :)
My counsellor went through the referral with me. I can't help but feel like she thinks I'm stretching a bit to ask for CMHT input, and mentioning BPD. We discussed what I wanted/expected from the referral and what happens if they bounce me back.

She was doing the typical counselling thing of spinning anything I say into a positive, I see why but it felt like I was being undermined. She was lovely though, and we wrote a crisis action plan as my sh/sui urges are a bit intense and impulsive atm. I'm currently parked up on a random street as I had a meltdown and would have SH if I had stayed at home. Sigh.

I hope they accept the referral. Although it could be quite a wait to be assessed.
Master procrastinator

Occasional Crafter

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
Good luck. Sounds like you have done well to avoid sh.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'