Author Topic: Starting therapy *trig SH* *PTSD*  (Read 832 times)

Offline purplebutterfly

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Starting therapy *trig SH* *PTSD*
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:32:57 AM »
Been lurking for a few weeks

Struggling. Scared.

Have made the decision that I can’t get the help I need - open ended trauma therapy - through the NHS. My GP has agreed. So, after much searching, met a therapist on Thursday. First impressions are good. Start proper on Thursday this week. Money a huge worry, but I want my life back.

SH has been pretty well daily. Nothing serious - deep enough for steristrips with a few trips to small injuries. My GP is away till May 7 which means I have no real support - tried another couple of GPs this week but they don’t get it. Both kind enough, but one talked a bit then tried to convince me to up my medication, the other was more focussed on SH than why. The receptionists are definitely fed up with me. Feel I need to see someone in the next few days but reluctant to try yet another GP.

“Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and other people look at it.”

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Starting therapy *trig SH* *PTSD*
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »
You can use us on here to help support you
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline purplebutterfly

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »
I guess that’s why I stopped lurking. Just feel I don’t tend to have much to say to support others so sort of went away.
“Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and other people look at it.”

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:27:37 PM »
Receptionists aren't paid to have opinions, if you don't like their attitude tell your GP at your next appointment.

Good that first impressions of your new therapist are positive - that can make a big difference, and your determination to get back in control of your life will help you to do just that.

Sometimes it's hard enough to know what to say to support people when you're not struggling yourself, so don't feel bad if you can't find the words when you are struggling. Knowing that someone is reading their posts is often a degree of support in itself for a lot of people.
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline purplebutterfly

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
Thanks Tucan & Rob. And others who read.
Going to have a nap now. Tired after a pretty major realisation this morning,

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
Hope you sleep well.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
I guess you could feel a bit better knowing that the other GPs are okay and that you can go to one of them if you get into a crisis?  ::-\:

I know it's tough but the 7th may isn't too far away, it's just over a week.

I've had issues with receptionists at a previous GPs surgery, they used to ask inappropriate questions and gossip about patients and they seemed to think that they were doctors... ::). Ignore them because your medical stuff is between you and the doctor. Like Rob said, if they are horrible tell your GP, they'll be told off for making patients feel uncomfortable.
RIP Clyde - November 25th 2018
RIP Bonnie - November 24th 2018
RIP Columbus - August 22nd 2018
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :1027:

Offline purplebutterfly

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 04:49:59 PM »
Had a sleep.  :chococat_h4h: came too.

The receptionists don’t ask too many questions. My amazing GP has told me to say I need to see her if she is in and get them to check with her. I have discussed it with her and she says that they try and protect her because there are quit a few mental health patients who rely on her. I kind of see that.

There is one GP who I haven’t tried yet who I hope will be in this week if I can’t cope. And I soppose it is tricky for any GP who isn’t aware what has been going on.

Offline purplebutterfly

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:32 AM »
Think I am ok without GP today....

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
Hey trauma therapy is really hard but really the only thing to do for ptsd. EMDR is really good if you can get access to it.  I pay for a large percentage of my therapy privately and to start with I really worried about the money but now it's a necessity that I budget in like I may have to skip spending money on other things to scored it but without the therapy I would probably not be here as got very sick. When I'm doing ok between sessions I try to spread it out a little bit to save money but when I'm struggling i try not to worry about the money to much although im lucky in that my only responsibilities are me and the dog so as long as I can afford rent etc but realise not everyone is in the same position.
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12