Author Topic: Thinking about asking for help from doctor  (Read 52 times)

Offline PinkyPurple

• First posts
Thinking about asking for help from doctor
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »
Hi I am new. I have been feeling depressed and lonely for some time now, about 6 months because of my current social situation. I have also felt like I just want to disappear or end up really ill - too ill to work. :(

I am considering asking my doctor about possible mental health support because of how unhappy I am but at the same time I feel it's difficult for me to do this because I only ever go to my doctor for physical problems so for me to go for something emotional/mental/psychological related feels strange.

Any advice about what to say/ask would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
Re: Thinking about asking for help from doctor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum

Doctors are used to people asking about both physical and mental health issues, but I can understand why it would feel strange to approach them with a mental / emotional issue.

I think the thing that I would say is go to them and speak about how you are feeling. Explain to them how you feel that you are feeling down and lonely, and explain the feelings of just wanting to disappear and be too ill to work. They should then be able to work out what may be available that would help. Be prepared, they may ask some questions, but try to answer them as truthfully as you can, even if it feels like your first instinct is to downplay your feelings.
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline PinkyPurple

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum

Doctors are used to people asking about both physical and mental health issues, but I can understand why it would feel strange to approach them with a mental / emotional issue.

I think the thing that I would say is go to them and speak about how you are feeling. Explain to them how you feel that you are feeling down and lonely, and explain the feelings of just wanting to disappear and be too ill to work. They should then be able to work out what may be available that would help. Be prepared, they may ask some questions, but try to answer them as truthfully as you can, even if it feels like your first instinct is to downplay your feelings.

Thanks. I don't feel that bad about asking them now :)

Online so sad

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »
Hi

I agree with Jack - GPs are used to hearing everything so please don't worry. What helped me was to write everything down because if you're anything like me, by the time you've walked through the door and anxiety has kicked in, you forget the important bits. If you start a list now then you can add to it up to going in. Its a good point of reference and if you really struggle to speak when you're in you can just pass over the note.

Hope that helps

SS x