Author Topic: Disclosure trig abuse  (Read 166 times)

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
Disclosure trig abuse
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
Do you worry about the effects of what youíre disclosing to the professionals youíre working with? I canít always talk about the more difficult stuff in the actual session but find it easier to say more if I write it/email it. However I do it though I have this worry about how it sounds to them. Theyíll have heard worse no doubt. But itís horrible. Itís left me with a feeling of toxicity that I donít want to impose on other people, even if theyíre trained/ professional.

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Disclosure trig abuse
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
 :hug2:
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Tired Soul

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »
I just wanted to say that as someone who works with people who have experienced trauma/abuse etc that in my professional capacity it is never a burden or 'too much' to hear what someone else says. I know maybe because I am on this site that you may not feel like I am a worthy person to share that opinion, but from what I experience at work and with my colleagues etc, I think that the people we work with are never 'toxic' for sharing their life experiences, memories, feelings, and thoughts. The training and boundaries and containment offered in a workspace makes it so much more manageable to balance and it keeps people safe. I am always happy when the people I work with share their most difficult things, because I know that it makes such a difference to be truly heard, i know that is true for me from both being a client and as a professional.

I hope that you continue to find ways to share yourself with the professionals you see, you're worth the time and worth being heard.

x
Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:31:24 PM »
+1

I think that members of this site are especially worthy, however.
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Thank you TS, so much  :hug1:

What youíve written has really helped both in terms of reassuring me that the training and boundaries the professionals have are there to protect them too and also in helping me believe sharing bad stuff doesnít make me bad. Your reply is timely and Iím grateful. Iím going to print it out.

I know maybe because I am on this site that you may not feel like I am a worthy person to share that opinion

This couldnít be further from the truth. As Rob says, it makes you highly worthy. Your reply means more than you could possibly know  :hug1:

Offline Tired Soul

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
:hug1: You're very welcome

And i am glad that I could offer a potentially different perspective because I honestly 100% believe it :) I think sharing 'the bad stuff' takes a huge amount of inner strength, courage, and bravery... so in my professional capacity I always think that it feels like an honour to be trusted with something as important as 'the bad stuff'... if anything I think it highlights the individuals strength more than anything else <3

Also, thank you for your reply, it really does mean a lot to me too x   :13886: :1025:
Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
I have a session tomorrow and itís difficult for a number of different reasons. Honestly, what youíve written is just going to be there in my pocket. Thank you  :13886:

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »
I would agree with everything TS has said, and also add that those that I know who are in the profession have always said that they have a really good support network. Someone, somewhere, has clearly understood that if you don't support those who are supporting those with MH issues, then they'll b**n out quickly or something, which would leave them in a worse position of having nobody to deliver therapy!

One other thing, from my own experience (I'm not a professional, but have helped a number of people over the years - wow, that makes me feel old!), is that when it's not you, and you're not emotionally connected to the situation, it's easier to not let these things get to you. It almost has a level of detachment, so is easier to compartmentalise, because you don't have all the emotional stuff going with it. I hope that makes sense?

As TH has said, it takes a lot of courage and strength to open up, even in a professional setting; something which, I think, is often underestimated.

:hug2:
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
Thanks Jack  :hug2:

I have to believe that, about support and mentoring being in place. I know thatís true of mine but hadnít really thought about it in terms of what Iím talking about. Youíre right about the emotional connection too. At the moment Iím completely immersed in this but because it happened to me. Itís helpful to have that pointed out and Iíll try and hold on to it.

Yesterday was really raw. I was very emotional and unsettled. Today Iím exhausted. I think thatís a good thing. Iím too tired to fight it. Maybe it can let a bit of healing begin.