Author Topic: Endless cycle of SH  (Read 158 times)

Offline ClaireB

• First posts
Endless cycle of SH
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
My 13 year old daughter has been self harming for over a year now. We have been to CAMHS, tried CBT and she is on meds. There was a marked improvement over the summer holiday months and a few months thereafter, but she has started again  We have given her a little dog for night time distraction and she rides horses every day (her passion). But, no matter how much time I spend with her and numerous distractions, the stress from peer pressure at school is beating us at every turn. Home schooling is not a possibility, sadly. Where do we go from here? Desperately worried.

Online Axia

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • May dragons take flight in your dreams tonight...
Re: Endless cycle of SH
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:30 PM »
Hi. I'm sorry things are difficult at the moment. I can't speak for everyone but my self harm comes in waves and it is worse when I'm stressed so I guess that is happening to your daughter.
School is a difficult time. Is her school aware of what she has been through? If not it might be an idea to make an appointment with her head of year to talk about it. Does the school have a counselling service?
Animals are a great distraction so I'm sure she appreciates the dog. Do you have someone to talk to because it's important to look after yourself.
Self harm is a coping strategy and there is no magic cure to make it stop but just letting her know that you are there for her will be very helpful.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. x