Author Topic: Panicked mum / advice welcomed  (Read 94 times)

Offline Batterseamum

• First posts
Panicked mum / advice welcomed
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
Last Christmas I found out my son has been self- harming and had made a half attempted suicide attempt - this completely shocked and rocked my world.
We quickly went to the Gp and got into the CAMHS  system but my son wasnít opened to the sessions  and did 6 but the therapist said she couldnít force him so we came out of the system.
We have been monitoring him and thought it was all under control.
Until school called last week to say my son is self harming again and has made another sucide attempt with some of my husbands medication and he is finding it hard controlling the harming and has suicide tendencies much more often.
I just can believe we thought he was coping ok. He told the school he has been keeping it quite to protect me but I am now besides my self with worry.
We went to the GP that day and ended up in AE and are now awaiting CAMHS- but I just donít know how to support him - I donít want him to feel the stress of my anxiety and am trying my best to be as strong as I can.
The anxiety last Christmas of worrying  every time I opened my sons door to what I might find has returned.
We ask him what is it that is making him self harm and make him think about suicide and he just says he doesnít know. How can you help a problem when you donít know where it stems from?
We are 9 months in from first finding out and I feel that we have let it get worse....
I am taking all elements out of the house that he could use to harm and will await to
See how CAMHS can help. Iím just lost to know what to do and am in this constant state of panic...😰😰😰

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
Re: Panicked mum / advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
 :welcomeani1:
It's very hard for parents when they find themselves in such situations, especially as it's so difficult to understand what has led to these actions. Finding out what's behind his actions can be really difficult if he doesn't want to engage with support; you've obviously gone down the best routes with CAMHS, and by making sure medications etc at home are locked away and out of sight. There are obviously reasons behind his actions, whether they stem from school/social/media/home is going to be a challenge to find out. You can offer him support/encouragement at home, but try not to be intrusive as that might cause him to clam up more. Try and improve his self confidence/self esteem.
I've been in a similar position to you, so I really do empathise with that phrase you used about 'opening that door', but I will add that we were able to eventually work through those issues making self harm/sui firmly in the past. 
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline Batterseamum

• First posts
Re: Panicked mum / advice welcomed thank you very cub for
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
Thank you very much for your advice / we saw CAMHS today so I feel better ... I am trying to let my son have some freedoms while we keep a close eye on him. Itís such a hard balance. Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I am taking one day at a time.

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
Re: Panicked mum / advice welcomed
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:56:18 PM »
That's all you can do is take it one step at a time. Don't forget support for yourself too
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'