Author Topic: Getting help SH  (Read 166 times)

Offline Motormouth

• First posts
Getting help SH
« on: October 26, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »
Hi

Iím new. I have been SH since I was about 18, for me this is the last 16 years. I have never told anyone until about a month ago. I have a great job and a pretty good life to be honest. I donít think people would expect it. The person I told was great about it. He has helped me see that I have been doing it for so long that I think itís a normal way of coping. His support has helped me take the first step and I have booked an appointment with my GP. This is stressing me right out. I am finding it so hard just to right this post but I wondered if anyone could tell me what will happen when I see the gp? I know it sounds stupid but it has been going on for so long that I feel ridiculous saying about it.

Thank you x

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
Re: Getting help SH
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
You will have a discussion about your mental health and why you hurt yourself. What treatment is recommended depends on how you are and what is available in the area.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Motormouth

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
Thank you. I think my mental health is fine but then the sensible side of my brain says there is obviously something not quite right for me to SH. Itís a coping mechanism for me I think. Just donít know how to stop. Thanks for your reply. X

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »
SH can happen for a variety of reasons and the cause isn't always obvious so don't feel silly, GPs see a lot of people with MH problems.
You're GP will ask you how long you've been SHing for, if there are any causes, what methods you use and also ask about anything you've trued to help yourself in the past and whether you have suicidal thoughts/plans. You'll then get a referral to the MH team for an assessment. Don't be surprised if the doctor asks to see the SH too, my doctor does this to check that there are no infections or problems with healing etc.

Good luck, I hope your doctor is helpful. It's a good idea to write things down before you go in too, a little checklist helps make sure that you tell him/her everything that you need to say, it's easy to forget if you get flustered.
RIP Clyde - November 25th 2018
RIP Bonnie - November 24th 2018
RIP Columbus - August 22nd 2018
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :1027: