Author Topic: Help others to understand  (Read 52 times)

Offline Debbiejenn

• First posts
Help others to understand
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »
I self harm... cutting has been more recent but I have always either struggled with starving myself (anorexia) binging and purging (bulimia) or excessive exercise. I am treated for depression.

I have recently been through an awful ordeal of reporting childhood sexual abuse that happened to me which has resulted in his conviction. This was 2 weeks ago.

I have become very close to someone who has really helped me through this and earlier this week we were really happy, joking mucking about and looking forward to the weekend. Last night I cut myself and today I told j. But he doesnít understand. He is almost blaming himself for not being there for me (he would have been
If I had called but of course I didnít want to at the time). I tried to reassure him that whilst I did this it doesnít change my feelings and our relationship etc but he is struggling with it as it is totally alien to him. How can I help him understand ?

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
Re: Help others to understand
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
 :hug1: he will need time and space to get his head around this. Just keep reassuring him that it isn't his fault.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
It can be really difficult for non self harmers to understand the reasons behind self harm. It was one of the reasons that this site exists, to help inform others the reasons why and to show how positive support can be helpful.
Perhaps download or show him some of the information here: http://nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78910.0
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline Debbiejenn

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
Thank you x