Author Topic: BPD?  (Read 75 times)

Offline Ginger

• 18+
  • Silver Member
BPD?
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »
I have had depression and anxiety on and off for most of my life but I read something and now am wondering if I actually have borderline personality disorder but how do I approach that with professionals? I’ve just had another referral to the psychiatrist for the third time and wonder if I can ask about that?

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
Re: BPD?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
Just tell them you have read up on it and you identify with a lot of what is said and you wondered if it was something you had.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Ginger

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks. I just feel a bit unconfident doing so x

Online so sad

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi

Do you know your psychiatrist pretty well?

I mentioned it to one I had about 8 years ago and he said I did have some traits but didn't want to label me.

This year, my current psychiatrist got me in with a psychologist and it was him who spotted that I tick most of the boxes. It helped that he himself teaches DBT (dialectic behavioural therapy) so it was his field. He referred me for DBT and I've just started it.

I would look at the signs and write down which ones you identify with and think of examples of how it fits. You can then use that as a starter for 10.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

M x

Offline Ginger

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
Thanks, that’s a really good idea. I don’t know yet regarding the psychiatrist - until I get the letter but I assume it will be the one I’ve seen before who is lovely but I always felt a little like I was wasting their time...

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
I don't think it would be a waste of time, it can be useful to rule things out too so even if you haven't got BPD there's no harm done. I understand how.guilty you feel though.
RIP my beautiful Columbus, you're at peace now. :bunny: :1027:

August 22nd 2018

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:43:18 AM »
They should be willing to talk it through with you. Just be mindful that BPD, well most / all PDs tend to get a bad wrap. Some people are obviously really good, but there are a lot that see that as a label and have some pretty unhelpful preconceptions
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”