Author Topic: Sad Mum of 14 year old daughter  (Read 190 times)

Offline sanjo

• First posts
Sad Mum of 14 year old daughter
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
Hi,
I am new here. Where to start? Just a normal family, as normal as any other. My daughter took my tool and cut her thigh in lots of places. Was full of guilt afterwards and told her friend who took her to the Counsellor at school. I received the call and was devastated. My daughter was so upset that I was so sad, and vice versa.  We experience all the usual teenage tantrums but nothing I would ever have put down as out of the ordinary. She has, to the untrained eye, what some people would consider a wonderful privileged life, she is the eldest of three and gets on pretty well with her siblings. She promised me it would never happen again. Which of course it just has. I would like her to speak to someone, would you recommend a counsellor or a psychologist? Which has been most effective for you and yours? I'm so sad, in a selfish way, that our wonderful family has been affected by this horrid illness. And so gutted for my beautiful girl that she had the sadness in her to do this. Any help or advice would be really appreciated x

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Sad Mum of 14 year old daughter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »
While I'm sure it is difficult for all of you, the best thing to do is see whether she wants to talk to anyone. Your GP is usually the first point of contact in a professional sense. But its probably a good starting point to talk to your daughter first.

http://www.nshn.co.uk/downloads.html this link contains some downloads that might be helpful especially the distractions list. (a while ago everyone suggested things that use as distractions from s/h).

HAs your daughter said anything about what is going on or why she has got to a point she needed to hurt herself?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”