Author Topic: Reconstructive Surgery  (Read 138 times)

Offline gemma

• First posts
Reconstructive Surgery
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
My son self-harmed for a period of three to four months. He stopped a couple of months before we realised what had happened and that was a year ago. We have introduced major changes in his life and he is not depressed or suffering from anxiety now, but as we are approaching the summer I can see that he is very concerned about people not seeing his scars. I have done reseach online and have found information about demoabrassion and skin grafting. Does anyone know about this? Also, would he be considered as a patient being 16? Thank you

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Reconstructive Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:03:08 AM »
I don't know if that is a viable option.  A lot would depend on the type of scarring and how deep they were at the time.  Forum rules on sharing details might prevent open discussion about that. I know dermoabrasion is used for acne scars but I don't know that there is a great deal that can be done for self harm scars.

If they are flat, they will fade well over time. Anything raised or dented will fade in colour and maybe flatten a tiny bit but I doubt dermoabrasion can be used for them. I don't know that grafting is likely to do much but create more scarring but differently.  If you browse some of the archived boards there are other options than just seem to speed up colour fading.  https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Self-Harm-Scars  there are some other suggestions here.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”