Author Topic: HEAD BANGING  (Read 206 times)

Offline JennyGeddes

• ---- o18s
  • First posts
HEAD BANGING
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
The standard advice I read on supporting a self harmer is 'not to take away their self harming as it is their method of coping.'  While UI understand and accept that, I struggle with not advising the adult I care for not to bang his head.  He already has brain injury from this kind of self harming.  I find health staff are far too accepting of his pattern of behaviour, and not really providing him with the tools he needs to move on to less harmful means of release from tension.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
Re: HEAD BANGING
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
 :welcomeani1:

Whilst the standard advice might be superficially reasonable, the methods of self harm should always be steered towards less harmful alternative methods that might still provide the same release but without the long term damage. I think that perhaps providing those tools to move on to less harmful methods, though, is too time/cost intensive in the current climate to be a realistic option, as evidenced by the long waiting times for the various therapies offered? Acceptance can also be the easy way out for them - don't expect him to stop all forms of self harm, but yes, they should try and find a safer method to minimise the damage.
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline JennyGeddes

• ---- o18s
  • First posts
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
Thank you for your understanding.  I agree that the way forward is to find other coping strategies, but I long for him to meet a doctor, nurse, or therapist who will take it seriously and show real concern about the serious, long term effects of head banging and put in place a proper course of action to help him.  He has 30 years of coping like this - it is not going to be changed by simply handing our a leaflet that says -maybe use an elastic band and make sure your wounds are clean and well dressed - he does not have any VISIBLE wounds - though the scarring shows up in  CT SCAN.

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
It sounds like a difficult situation for you. He does need to find a less dangerous coping mechanism than head banging especially if he is getting brain injury from it. The drs need to realise how serious this is! Years ago one of the nurses was happy for me to cut myself as it meant I was less likely to take an overdose which is more dangerous. It's not always about taking coping mechanisms away but finding a safer alternative. Not sure what else he could do though, I guess that is something you will have to talk to him about.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'