Author Topic: Other coping mechanisms  (Read 288 times)

Offline Mumto1

• First posts
  • If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Other coping mechanisms
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
My daughter has been suffering anxiety and panic attacks for 18 moths or so and has resulted in SH. Shes been on the CAMHS waiting list for 10 months and will be seen in March. Anyway. I consider myself a very supportive mum, but even I get frustrated. My Bubs uses the grounding method, breathing for panic attaacks and . Ice cubes and elastic bands for her SH but has gone back to using sharp objects. She says the others dont work !!!!!! Im looking for more ideas to use . She really struggling with her emotions right now for many reasons and talking dont seem to be working. Lots of cuddles do lots but not miracles.

Thanks Mumto1

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
Re: Other coping mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
I find distractions help me.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
  • Official NSHN geriatric
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
 :happy020:

It sounds like you're trying the right things to at least minimise any harm. Elastic bands and ice cubes etc can help some times, but aren't the solution -  merely something that some people find can help them distract until the urges to SH subside and become manageable.
People suffer panic and anxiety attacks for many reasons. It's a pity that the CAMHS waiting list is so long, but at least March is around the corner so I hope that their professional input will help her with her issues.
:icon_arrow: NHS Direct 111 :icon_arrow: Careline 0808 100 1210 :icon_arrow: Childline 0800 1111 :icon_arrow: Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text SAMs 07725909090 - Free SAMs 116 123 :icon_arrow: Basic First Aid

Offline CreamEgg2018

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
I was a patient at CAMHS many years ago. It sounds like you are being supportive best you can be to your daughter. I found CAMHS extremely helpful. I spent around 10-12 months on the waiting list and it was worth the wait, I did struggle a lot whilst waiting to be seen.

I can't add much to what coping mechanisms have been said, but I hope what I have written has offered some optimism.

Best Wishes.