Author Topic: disbelieving family members  (Read 1825 times)

Offline skippylamb

• 18+
  • First posts
disbelieving family members
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:41 PM »
Hi.
Does any one have any advice on how to tackle family members who disbelieve another family has a genuine mental health issue? I have a daughter who has a diagnosis of depression alongside an ed, sh which all stems from sa but certain members of our family refuse to believe her problems are genuine and it is causing a massive split within the family this is mainly brought on due to their small minded selfish attitudes to it and because my daughter has what the consider a mortal sin, posting her feelings on social media!! Very frustrated. Any advice greatly received. Thanks

Offline Dawn

• First posts
Re: disbelieving family members
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
Hi,
  Sorry to hear that family aren't supportive. It is quite heart breaking and frustrating for you and your daughter. All you can do is concentrate on looking after your daughter and yourself.
I have very little family but they are aware that my sister also had similar mental health issues like my daughter has now and are supportive. I have found though that some 'friends' are happily pretending we don't exist anymore which is a kick in the teeth when I've always supported them. It's a tough time for you both. Try and get strength from any little happy moments.
As for the social media, if it helps her then that's good however be wary as my daughter has received some negative/bullying comments and that brings much distress. Take care.

Offline JennyGeddes

• ---- o18s
  • First posts
Re: disbelieving family members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  I think we still have such a long way to go in talking of mental ill health in the same way we talk about physical health. I have had some experience of this, and I have found over time people's attitudes began to shift.  But it is slow.