Author Topic: What has helped you?  (Read 14774 times)

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
What has helped you?
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
For parents/family members/friends/partners in particular...if you have any thoughts from your own experiences, ideas, ways of coping/helping, positive things you found that were supportive/helpful for the person you care about.

Please feel free to share. :) Anyone else is welcome to pitch in, also.

Interference

Offline Marci Hawkins

• Haven
  • Usually here
  • LET'S CALL ROOM SERVICE!
Re: What has helped you?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »
For me i wasn't going to let my now ex's bi polar ruin what we had (funny she let it instead)
Tried getting support but didn't find much so just put up with it, knowing there was nothing she could do.

Offline Baryonyx

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Loneliness: a universal constant since 1927
    • Zurker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »

When I first heard this years ago, it made me feel awesome. The feeling whither's after the 90th time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGiH-7H8d4

Maybe it'll do something for you guys too.
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in Heaven.
Samuel Clemens

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde

Its not a lack of crimes that values a man's worth but his capacity for contrition

Offline emilysdad

• Usually here
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Nothing really, I don't think there is any support out there for carers in our situation!
Stay safe and never give up hope of a better future.   
http://www.childline.org.uk/talk/Pages/Talk.aspx

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »
Not even to understand, at any stage?

Interference

Offline Mocha

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
I think having someone else there who you can talk to about it, maybe a little removed from the situation then that can help. Someone who you can share your thoughts and feelings with in a safe environment whether those feelings are positive or negative such as guilt, fears or hopes.

I think its about following through on what the carer may be promoting and encouraging themselves to the person who does self harm such as talking things through, recognising when things are getting too much, releasing emotion safely. x
Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons :)

Offline emilysdad

• Usually here
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
Talking helps of course just to be able to unburden, but it doesn't change anything day by day and there is only so much you can lay on other people who have their own lives and problems to deal with, over the past 3 years I have been on several occassions to a mental low I never thought I could go to, I have lost really everything I thought we as a family could be, it is only a matter of time now before we go our separate ways, but my daughter is alive, getting on with her life despite everything and has a future with some hope I believe, so really the cost is worth the (hopefull) outcome!
Stay safe and never give up hope of a better future.   
http://www.childline.org.uk/talk/Pages/Talk.aspx

Offline Storm Dust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Residue of the storm...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Talking helps of course just to be able to unburden, but it doesn't change anything day by day and there is only so much you can lay on other people who have their own lives and problems to deal with, over the past 3 years I have been on several occassions to a mental low I never thought I could go to, I have lost really everything I thought we as a family could be, it is only a matter of time now before we go our separate ways, but my daughter is alive, getting on with her life despite everything and has a future with some hope I believe, so really the cost is worth the (hopefull) outcome!

:hug2:
It doesn't matter whether the glass is half full or half empty. There is clearly room for more vodka.

phillind

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »
Its just nice (prob not the best phrase to use) to now we are not the only people who have to cope, deal with this, and that there is always someone to talk to and advise, since finding this site, myself and my partner have felt a great weight lifted off our shoulders, and can hopefully move forward in the right direction.

loudecreme

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
Nothing really, I don't think there is any support out there for carers in our situation!

So sorry but I have to second this.  The only people who can help are others in the same situation and because it is still a taboo subject it is hard to find others to talk to.  Obviously this site is fantastic but it's not the same as having a proper conversation with someone.