Author Topic: Re: acceptance  (Read 3520 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Re: acceptance
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
Saw my psych yesterday. Had to talk about last weeks blip, where I got depressed, unmotivated and was thinking of suicide. It only lasted a few days this time, I have these blips every so often, sometimes lasting a few weeks. I told psych I am fed up of having the lows. He said I need to learn to accept I have a long term illness, which will involve blips along the way. I have to accept these blips as part of me, and that will make them easier to cope with.

I do accept I have a lifelong illness, and I accept I need medication, but I don't want to accept the down times. Surely I should be able to avoid them? I guess that is unrealistic tho isn't it?

Do you think accepting you will always have lows makes it easier to cope with them??
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline is_it_true

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
I cant remember the amount of times that i need to work on my acceptance issues. Apparently if you do accept things and not fight them...especially feelings and emotions,you will feel better. And not in so much 'pain'.
I guess it get it,but cant do it? I think its just difficult for some people with mental health issues especially who self harm as then you have to accept itsnot the right thing to do.
That make sense?
Anyway,i get your confusion!
 :hug1:

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Acceptance
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
In my case, no but acceptance of the whole illness makes it easier to understand if that makes sense?  Xx
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
hey hun.. not sure if i'm going to be able to say what I want to say .. it might just come out as a ramble.. but here goes..

my understanding of why professionals want you to accept the fact that you might have blips is because firstly it helps you cope with the guilt and shame etc that you might feel afterwards.. "why did I fall into that trap again, i'm weak, useless " etc whereas if you accept the fact that you will have blips your more likely to think "OK I have an illness and that was a blip" ...

also I think if you accept the fact that you will have blips it's more likely that while your in the middle of it you will recognise it as a blip and be able to reach out for support and put things in place to get you out of it... rather than thinking "I'm going to feel like this forever" if you know it's just a blip you can say to yourself "I know this won't last forever it's just a blip" ...

sorry I knew that was going to come out as a ramble..

xx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
Sorry for such a late reply to this, forgot I'd posted this thread tbh.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts, really helps. Psych kinda said that if I learn to accept I'm going to have lows, then I'll also accept that the lows won't last, so I'll feel more able to cope with them and know it will get better again. I think that's what he meant.

I'm doing really well at the moment. My mood has stabilised and I feel quite refreshed each morning. I passed my last 2 pieces of c/w, one module I scraped a pass, the other I got 84% for, so was very pleased with that.

Under psychs guidance I am coming off my oral APs. Reducing them slowly and almost off them now. Not had any strange thoughts/experiences so hopeful I will be fine off them (I'm still having depot AP).

Feeling quite positive right now. Got positive plans for the future. Planning my dissertation for my MSc and off to Canada for 2weeks in Sept  :)
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer