Author Topic: ex self harmer being asked to help current sufferer  (Read 3996 times)

Offline 12ingiber3

• First posts
ex self harmer being asked to help current sufferer
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I'm 26 and haven't SH for at least 4 years but recently found out my 15yr old cousin has been harming for a while. She's seen doctors/school therapists etc but I feel I should help in some way  but do not want to give bad advice/say the wrong thing. I know its VERY individual and as a general rule not liked to be talked about (In fact just talking about it has triggered very minor feelings back in my self) I'm not too sure exactly what stopped me (I'm a repressor) and one of my personal solutions was weed (Not something I'd like to recommend to my baby cousin) and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation of "Buddying" up or ANY advice/angle to take??
Many thanks

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: ex self harmer being asked to help current sufferer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »
Sounds like a tricky situation, maybe you could text your cousin and just say something like "I hear your having a tricky time at the moment, if you ever need to chat you know where I am" ... I wouldn't feel pressured to get involved if your not sure though, it sounds like they have the right support in place ...

If she does approach you, maybe you could direct her towards this site, there's lots of distraction techniques on here and basic first aid advice which could be useful to her ?
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..