Author Topic: What has made for a successful therapy experience? *mt*  (Read 81 times)

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
What has made for a successful therapy experience? *mt*
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:30:11 PM »
I'm interested and hopeful to hear about what people feel has contributed to successful and fulfilling (not perfect  ::P:) experiences in therapy. I'm really struggling with it and have done for a lot of the past year. Some times have been better than others. It's not because of the person I'm seeing, it's because of me. I just wondered if anyone else had struggled and overcome the struggles, or those who have had successful experiences and can identify what helped them. Thank you  :)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: What has made for a successful therapy experience? *mt*
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
For me a successful therapy session would involve two things; feeling as though I've been listened to and having a plan to move forward in life. I think it's helpful to consider what you want to achieve from each individual session as well as therapy overall, then by discussing this with your therapist you can tailor each session to achieve what you need.
I'm still trying to overcome the struggles myself but that takes a lot of time. The important thing is to be completely honest about your feelings regarding the therapy- if you feel crap after a session you can say so, if you feel it's not working you can say so. Also, try writing down your feelings about therapy on different days too, your emotions are likely to be quite raw after therapy but you may see it differently a few days later.
Frankly Autocorrect, I'm rather sick of your bull shirt.

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:39:48 AM »
Thank you  :)

Thinking about what I want from each session is a good idea. Often she asks and I say I don't know. I think this is because I can be passive and also I don't think what I have to say or need to look at is important or of any worth. Also there can be stuff I want to talk about but can't because I'm ashamed. Writing things down on a different day is good too, you're right there are def different emotions and feelings on different days and the rawness does ease. I'm going to try and think what I want from the next session.

Online Tucan

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Its a cup, not a toilet!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
It can be hard to know what you do want.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

'Sigh no more ladies sigh no more for men were deceivers ever'