Author Topic: If there was a cure for autism...  (Read 26468 times)

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
I think that if you have Autism, you ought to be allowed to request a professional who also has Autism, because of how badly NT professionals treat those with Autism.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 01:42:58 AM »
(Young + female + s/h) seems to automatically = EUPD, despite the fact that there are clear criteria. But it is a really common misdiagnosis for autistic people. I do hope at some point it's cleared up. I even had a conversation where a Psychiatrist went through the criteria and accepted that I don't meet enough of the criteria for the diagnosis around 5 years before it was removed. It stuck because he said he had to write something. There isn't any anger in that for me. I just think that professionals don't have information that would be helpful.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
I dunno, tbh. EUPD is a long road for some people. Anorexia, SH and so on can come first before it is picked up.

I should also say there really are little to no adult autism services in the public system, I'm fortunate enough to go privately and be near a city where there is someone who the training and knowledge to support me.

Amongst other things

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
The consequences of a misdiagnosis can be huge: discrimination, losing job, not being able to get passed occupational health, questioning yourself, other people misinterpreting you/ not understanding you, frustration, and the stigma that goes with the misdiagnosis, feeling hopeless that treatment isn't effective... I think that they should take more care and treat people more respectfully.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
I'd say that before any dx is made there should be discussion with the patient and a proper assessment for it, it shouldn't be assumed that female+ self harm = EUPD. An EUPD is a serious issue that needs treatment, if they really thought that I had it why wasn't I referred to MH services at the time? There have been far too many times where I just haven't been listened to by so-called professionals sand that's what I'm angry about rather than the misdiagnosis itself. As stated above there are lot of negative consequences of misdiagnosis and it feels like another way to gaslight, albeit unintentionally. Of course this contributed to my difficulties in accepting my dx but after 2 years + of speaking with different professionals it seems to be correct, at least this time I had a chance to discuss it and ask questions.

There aren't any adult autism services here either, I had to travel to get a dx and afterwards there was a post dx group for 6weeks. After that there was nothing. Most of my support has been through MH services but luckily my local area is at least aware and informed somewhat about autism and they at least listen to what I say. The issue is that a lot of standard MH treatment such as CBT aren't effective for the autistic brain.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
There is a diagnostic service here. But literally no follow up at all. I don't think that is unusual in the UK. I worked a lot out for myself and recently I found someone doing Skype counselling and family therapy for autistic people. Re EUPD, I wasn't saying it isn't real or serious, just that it seems to be misdiagnosed in autistic people a lot and that if the criteria are not met then that should be enough to show that it is not an appropriate diagnosis for that person. I was on a waiting list for a therapeutic community and seen weekly by a Psychiatrist in a PD specific service for a while. They literally recorded that I don't fit their diagnostic criteria... But didn't see a problem with that. It's also perfectly possible to have a PD and autism or any combination of stuff - I just wish professionals had the guidance to reduce misdiagnosis and more information about autism.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
I was originally diagnosed with eupd before they worked out I was autistic. Now I also have bipolar. Things are hard but finding out why they are hard does help.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »
I was originally diagnosed with eupd before they worked out I was autistic. Now I also have bipolar.
Ditto, although it was questioned before they couldn't see past the things that are related to autism.

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 09:18:17 PM »
I've concluded I've bad autism days, yesterday being an example. It's all a bit relentless, really. It's like a bad MH day on steroids. ::) It's as though a computer programme running in my head and I've little to no control over it. It is demoralising. Added to that, I feel like I am on a small island with some food and water. The neurotypical island is far away and I have no way of building a raft to get there. In short, meh.

Amongst other things

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »
I have days when I feel really drained. I find that I only have the motivation to do something if it is something that I really, really want to do/ am interested in. I've always felt like an outsider looking in. Not sure that I'd want to join the neurotypicals though- I'd like to keep the ability to be logical, to not bully, criticise and reject others just because they are different from the socially created norm, nor would I want to be interested in social status. However, I would really like my life to be as easy as that of a neurotypical- I can't believe the things that they take for granted because they find them so easy. My life is frustratingly difficult. Neurotypicals don't spend their lives being judged on how well they manage to come across how people with Autism would want/ expect them to be.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:16:40 AM by icicle »