Author Topic: Meds....  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Meds....
« on: February 21, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
Long story short - mood stabiliser stopped migraine medication being as effective. So after a period of time on an increased dose of the mood stabiliser, I felt like I really had to do something about the migraines. They were getting really bad and I was missing work. I already have a warning for absence so I don't need more sickness.

The GP said to ask the Psychiatrist because he didn't want to mess up the mood stabiliser. So I asked them and they said it was fine to increase it because the mood stabiliser should off set any effect on mood...it didn't. I am not off work because things were getting too high. The Psychiatrist is away so the consultant covering him advised to reverse the change in migraine meds and gave me Diazepam and temazepam to keep things more comfortable until the Psychiatrist is back on Monday.

I am more comfortable but also effing HUNGRY! and to be honest still quite irritable. I'm not massively weight conscious but the mood stabiliser already made it easier to stack weight on. The Psychiatrist I spoke to in the interim said he thinks that the usual one will add in another medication with the one I take now. As far as I can see weight gain is a side effect of almost every that could be. What I eat is normally pretty balanced. But no matter how much of anything I eat at the minute I'm still really hungry.

Has anyone had this with Diazepam / temazepam. I've taken both before and not found that. Also, any suggestions for ways to keep it in check without ballooning or being continually hangry?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Meds....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Feeling pretty crap, trying to balance bad cold & high temp with mood being much higher than it has been in a while. I feel like I'm taking a pharmacy right now. Struggling a bit with today being 4years since last s/h. All together it is just a bit much but I don't think there is anything I can do about it
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »
Commiserations about the  :ill:  4 years without is something to feel proud of, nevertheless.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »
Yeah I guess I kind of figured that if I could get that down then things would be more settled and I wouldn't need to keep managing things forever. But obviously that isn't right. Partly it makes it hard not to think f*ck it doesn't matter. I think I'm still trying to get my head around the bipolar diagnosis - especially because it has changed how people are managing things and interacting with me when things are difficult. I'd quite like to just turn off the next few days until things are a bit more settled. That sort of thought process is usually not good for me. But with my brain so fast, it's hard to keep away from it.

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
How are you doing now?

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 03:48:25 AM »
Much better now thanks icicle, but it took a while. Things came to a head a bit and I was on the ceiling but anxious. I think happy high is easier in so many ways but high and anxious is not. I had a few weeks off work and missed an exam for uni which meant I then got a bit buried with requests for meetings, paperwork and evidence. The whole thing was pretty pointless because now the migraine meds are the same, but the mood stabiliser is higher and more people know things than need to. I ended up in A&E because the I couldn't get hold of anyone to sort out meds etc and it got to the point I either went or did something. But this time was very different to any other time I've been. In reality it literally kept me safe because I was just waiting to be seen for 11hrs (after triage etc) and by the end of that they gave me a prescription said we could wait another 4 to see the mental health team. Although the time scale wasn't great it did what I needed it to and people had a really different attitude to previously. Overall it was pretty positive. I don't know if it was because I'd not done anything, because I wasn't on my own, because training has moved on in four years, because I someone else could explain how things have been or a combination of all of that - but the people were all nice. It feels weird to say it, but that hasn't ever been the case for me before, at least one person has always felt the need for a lecture or downright rudeness. I wasn't in a great place but it felt a lot like diagnosis plays a role in this.

I'm not in a great head space with diagnosis stuff at the moment. For a while I've been trying to work out if it is worth trying to sort out some private therapy or something for short while to see if it's useful. I don't feel OK asking the Psychiatrist about it, I saw an nhs therapist for about 6 years so I think I've more than exhausted my quota on that score. Work are supportive and will make it work rota wise. But I have to actually make a decision.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 02:46:20 PM »
So... I have a Skype appointment tomorrow. Not sure that feels real yet. Not sure what to expect. I've seen lots of people before but not essentially in my house via the computer. Also not 100%sure I want to.

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
At least you can choose your background and how much of you you want them to see, or you could get rid of the picture and just have it as a 'phone. Also, you won't have the hassle of going somewhere.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
I believe that there is a lot more understanding within support services/NHS these days, but as you say, it's probably also a combination of the reasons that you suggested.

If you go ahead with it, I hope that you find it useful.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:22 AM »
It was very odd. I'm not sure if I will continue it or not. They suggested a few books to read and asked a few questions, all of that was fine. I don't know if it is because of her background but she seemed to continually be working on the assumption that me being autistic and my partner not being would cause problems. I don't think it does. I tried to say that and it felt like she thought it was naive to think that. We are not a typical couple in many ways but that works out well for us. We were getting married in a few weeks until covid-19 rules banned weddings. We certainly have the 'in sickness and in health' bit down. She also seems very firm on bipolar usually being an erroneous diagnosis with autistic people because doctors don't know what to make of how they present. Again, I don't really agree. I asked her outright if she was saying she didn't agree with them saying that about me and she backed off with 'not part of my training' but she definitely made out she didn't agree before that. Given its something I'd like to discuss, it doesn't fill me with confidence. Before I even consider any of that, I really need to iron out if she knows people that are significant - she was way too intense around my dad's (public facing, community based) job for me not to want to ask. If she does know him, I don't need to worry about the rest because it is a total deal breaker. I'm just not sure how I do that.