Author Topic: I need some advice!  (Read 9340 times)

Offline hannah

• First posts
I need some advice!
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
Hello, this is the first time I have posted here, so please be kind!

I was a self-harmer for years, and as a result have severe scarring on both my arms. I have come through this now, and haven't slipped in a few years. In fact, I have come to terms with the scars and can now wear short sleeves without feeling self-conscious. At work I wore long sleeved things all the time until a few months ago. It was a new job and I wasn't fully comfortable with exposing this part of myself to people I didn't know very well and would be working with for a long time.

I decided that I could stop wearing long sleeves (a blessing as our shop can reach 30 degrees C), and haven't experienced any negative feedback from my customers or my workmates. However, on Saturday my boss informed me that there had been a series of phonecalls about me from personnel to our area manager, about the scars on my arms. I was told that I am not allowed to wear anything that might expose the scars, apparently in case 'customers judge you', or junior members of staff won't respect me in management.

I feel that this has brought me right back to that place of shame and guilt, and I really don't want to be back there again! Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!

Offline caspers smudj

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • dont follow me, im lost too!!!
    • reaching out together
Re: I need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
hi hannah
welcome to the forum

british red cross offer a free skin camouflage service
the can help you get the right creams for your skin colour to cover scars
i think you need to get referred through your dr
it is a really good service and they are non judgemental

i am just looking for a link for you
x
visit is at
https://www.reachingouttogether.proboards.com/
all visitors will be welcomed!!

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline caspers smudj

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • dont follow me, im lost too!!!
    • reaching out together
visit is at
https://www.reachingouttogether.proboards.com/
all visitors will be welcomed!!

Offline Tania

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Strength and Hope
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
Hi Hannah,

It is a real shame that having gotten to the stage of feeling comfortable in your own skin this problem has now arisen at work. As has been said there are some good scar covering products out there at the moment. You might want to consider having an informal telephone call with ACAS to check your rights in this area however if you are unhappy with being asked to cover up, particularly as you work in an environment that is very warm.
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1859

x
Put your arms around my soul and take me dancing.......

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »

Hannah,

I am really sorry that people have phoned and made comments about you and that now they are saying you have to cover your arms.

I think Tania's suggestion of phoning ACAS is a good one to find out your rights.

If it makes you feel any better I have really bad scarring on my arms and recently I was told by a fellow peer in group therapy that my arms were SICK and that she wanted me to wear long sleeves all the time. I was told I don't have to adere to her request but it made me wear long sleaves as much as I could.

Hash

Offline Bod

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
I really don't think they have any right to do that, it makes me very angry. would they say the same if your scars were from a serious accident or what if you had no hair from chemotherapy? It is part of an illness like these others are. It makes you feel awful though doesn't it?

Offline Daisy Bell

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
That's so wrong! How do you feel about it are you going to oblige? It is an awful example of the prejudice people with mental health problems face.

Offline Jsnuk

• First posts
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
Yes, this is utterly despicable. I would refuse to cover them out of principles. Although of course that's exactly not sensible advice and nor should it be taken as such. I am just stubborn.

Bethy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »
I really don't think they have any right to do that, it makes me very angry. would they say the same if your scars were from a serious accident or what if you had no hair from chemotherapy? It is part of an illness like these others are. It makes you feel awful though doesn't it?

This is exactly what I was going to say. What difference does your skin make to your work ability?! It takes so much strength to show scars in public and then to be knocked down like this is just...argh. It's absolutely infuriating and unjust, and I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

Welcoming a lighter note though, welcome to the forum.