Author Topic: Scars and family holiday  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Quickquestion123

• First posts
Scars and family holiday
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks with my boyfriends family, I am 26. Right now I’m doing amazingly well and haven’t self harmed since June. All my scars are at the top of my leg so never been an issue with having to tell people or cover up, however on holiday this isn’t going to be easy. I’m basically looking for any advice on what you would do? I have some fairly big scars that are still red, risen and you can tell they’ve been sutured, I bought some veil makeup online and for all it fades them slightly it’s still very obvious. I don’t want to spend all holiday hiding my leg and wearing shorts I want to swim and sunbathe. What would you do? Do I cover it as well as I can and just crack on with things? Is it best to cover it so they can’t see? Do I say anything? What do I say if they say something? None of his family know about any mental health struggles. Any advice greatly appreciated as none of my friends know either so nobody to ask for advice, thank you 😊

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Scars and family holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
Hi  :welcomeani1:

I guess it depends on what you feel comfortable with and your relationship with your boyfriends family. What would you feel comfortable with sharing? It sounds like you just want to get on with your holiday - you don’t ‘owe’ any explanations.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Scars and family holiday
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
Personally I wear board shorts to cover scars on my own scars on my thighs. With dark coloured shorts they can't be seen even when they are raised or indented - it looks like wrinkles in the fabric when wet. I also wear mens ones because they are longer in general. I do this because I choose not to allow people to see. But that is just my choice.

If you are ok with an explanation, then just wear what you want.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”