Author Topic: If there was a cure for autism...  (Read 27241 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
Yeah, there are times that I get annoyed that I can't 'JUST' do something. It's also a bit of a project at the moment to give myself time to recover after doing things that are difficult. It is possible, but it isn't easy and I don't like that I need to. I think it is a bit of an extension of doing the opposite of what I was doing before s/h. The whole being kind to yourself thing is difficult for most people, but I think there are several more layers when you have to work against what you have done before and in a way that isn't natural for other people. The 'too autistic' vs 'not autistic enough' to count arguments are also incredibly frustrating and make most things more difficult.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 02:12:07 PM »
Spoke to my colleague yesterday, she was lovely about it. Hopefully can tell her more in person when we're back in the office.

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »
I know sensory overload is a thing in the ASD world. What about information overload? Is that a thing.

Drained at the mo.

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »

Amongst other things

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »
I know sensory overload is a thing in the ASD world. What about information overload? Is that a thing.

Drained at the mo.

Definitely I think that NAS did a reasonable job of highlighting it but not explaining it. Someone recently said that you have to set aside the same if not more time to recover than the initial difficult period. Are you getting time to rest?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 09:42:33 PM »
Wasn't aware of that, thanks. I'll look it up.

People with ASD have trouble with sleep, it's well-documented.

If you mean other general down time as rest I could probably do more. I was pretty drained when I got home from therapy yesterday. I only go every 4 weeks and didn't want to go back.

Amongst other things

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 09:56:01 PM »
Eventually I ended up with a literal chill out room. Our spare room is given over things that are helpful when things are hard.before we had this extra space, it was a space behind my sofa. Just a space to be with no demands. I'd assume everyone would have different requirements but calm, quiet and dark is a general winner I think

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
Inflexible thinking
Overthinking
Confusion
Stress
Anxiety

Really feeling that you're 'less than'.

Typical part of life via the spectrum. ::)

Amongst other things

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 01:30:10 AM »
Feeling truly alone because despite caring deeply for others no one really understands, hell, I really don't understand. I feel utterly disconnected, other people are an enigma to me.
I don't know what I'm feeling, it's such a strange feeling.

Seriously, autism is sh**. I wish I could cut that part of my brain away. Or get a new bran. Anything other than this
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist

Amongst other things