Author Topic: Mindfulness Event.  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Mindfulness Event.
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
I went to a mindfulness event run by a local organisation in conjunction with the mental health trust I'm under. I really wasn't going to go this morning,  but I'm so glad I did!

There was a guided meditation, live music, rock painting, colouring, pompom making, spoken word poetry and cake. There a psychiatrist that helps to run the organisation (as well as working for the trust) who spoke, and she was saying that social prescribing for things like the event today should become much more of a thing. I tend to agree. There's something empowering about being with a group of like-minded individuals who each know something of what the other has been through, working towards a common goal.

It was held on a green in the hospital grounds. The general hospital I work in is located on the grounds, as well as the mental health unit I've been in a few times. I was a bit hesitant about going, because I was worried about seeing staff that have seen me very unwell etc, and I don't tend to go to that part of the grounds when I'm not being forced to be there. It was actually quite nice though - I'm in a much better place that I've been when I've been on the ward, and the staff that I saw remembered me and said that I looked really well. I feel like I've broken a bit of a barrier being there for a positive reason, you know? Perhaps I'm not doing so bad after all.
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Mindfulness Event.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:01:09 AM »
 :creature2: it sounds like you did really well. I'm glad the effort paid off. Do you think there are things you'll carry on with?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
That sound great for you.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:43 PM »
Sounds brilliant  :)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
Thank you. :)

There a local spoken work poetry group that meet in a bar once a month. I'm thinking of going there, not to perform (I'm really not a poet), but to listen - I really enjoyed the stuff we did on Saturday. :)

It's inspired me to get a bit creative, so I've spent some time making some card and things, which has been really enjoyable.

Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:06 AM »
That is good. Sounds really positive.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »
I've never been able to do real meditation or directly thought based thing. But there is such a calmness to making. I hope you have fun making things.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”