Author Topic: Does a difficult childhood lead to future self-harm and harm to others?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline KG

• Researcher
  • First posts
Request for research participants

Does a difficult childhood lead to future self-harm and harm to others, and if it does, how can we reduce this?

We are currently looking for participants to complete a 20-30 minute survey to help us answer this question. If you are 18 years of age or older and interested in taking part please click the link below and read the information provided before deciding if you are happy to participate. Your participation will help to answer this important question and hopefully find ways to support those that have experienced difficult childhoods, prevent self harm and harm to others.

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Does a difficult childhood lead to future self-harm and harm to others?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:59:32 AM »
What will the findings of this research be used for- you haven't been specific and who will the findings be disseminated to? I'd be interested in finding out the results, especially since I took the time to participate.

Offline KG

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »
Thanks Icicle for raising this. I apologise that I have not made this clear.

The project is quite substantial in size (the larger number of participants the bigger the impact) and therefore I am extremely grateful to everyone who is willing to spare time to undertake the survey. Due to the size of the project the full findings will not be finalised until approximately September 2018.

My intentions are to positively impact on services (child and adult) that support individuals who may have experienced childhood adversity. Therefore, I intend to publish the results in a journal that is accessed by professionals working with these individuals and those that fund these services. I also intend to present the findings at conferences where these individuals also attend.

The impact it has will depend on the findings, but I certainly will be publishing the results and I will share a summary of the findings on this forum.

Thank you for highlighting this Icicle and thank you to everyone who is willing to take part in this research!

Offline KG

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you that have participated in this research so far.

I do still need more participants though so if are willing to complete it or you are willing to share the research link in other places to increase participation that would be fantastic!

Take care all and again a big thank you!!

Offline KG

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »
 :sign0085:

Hi all,

Thank you for all the support you have given to this research. With your help I have been able to gain over 400 participants online.  This will really help to increase the impact of this research.

However, I'm hoping for a little more help as I really need more men to participate in this research. This is men that have and have not engaged in self harming behaviours. If you are a man please help by completing this research. Alternatively, if you are willing to share the research link (copy and paste it to emails/facebook etc) with other men in your lives that would be amazing too. Any help at all would be fantastic!

Many thanks,

KG