Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Survivor Room / Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Last post by lloud on December 15, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »
Dealing with the challenges of autism can be a real struggle, and it's different for everyone. For me, the idea of a cure sounds tempting too. I've had my fair share of meltdowns and tough moments, and if there was a way to make life a bit smoother, why not? But hey, I respect those who see autism as a unique part of themselves.
Survivor Room / Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Last post by Gerard on December 03, 2023, 06:53:30 PM »
Oh to be better at activities of daily living. :fryingpan:
Hi everyone!

My name is Caroline and I would like to invite you to participate in my research study about self-injury. Complete an anonymous survey to help increase our understanding of non-suicidal self-injury, especially as it relates to relationships to the self and important others. Requirements for participation are that you are at least 18 years old and have a history (past or present) of self-harm.

Why should I participate?
(1) Contribute to increased understanding of self-injury, a highly personal behavior that can be difficult to stop despite having motivation to do so, and which is often misunderstood by mental health professionals.
(2) Choose to receive personalized feedback based on your answers to parts of the survey which may provide you with more insight on your self-harm. You are not required to receive the feedback, but will be given the option to enter your email address for this purpose at the end of the survey. If you do choose to receive feedback, you can expect to see an email from me within one week of your completion of the survey. Click here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OLO57Tk4mGU-gSiw3B-rft73yEJoeuM1/view) to see a sample of the feedback document you will receive.

How long will it take? Completing the survey will require approximately 30-40 minutes of your time. I understand that this is a big ask; however, the information you can provide is extremely important, and may also be of use to you!

Why was this study created in the first place? I am a psychology doctoral student in the process of completing my dissertation, which I chose to do on a matter that I care about on a deeply personal level.

Important note: the survey will ask you questions about potentially upsetting topics, including the nature and functions of your self-injury and traumatic childhood and adulthood experiences you may have had. You will not be asked to provide specific details about your experiences. Please practice self-care by considering the kind of headspace you are in before beginning the survey, and discontinuing the survey if you become upset while completing it. Your responses will be saved and you can return to complete the survey at a later time if you wish (just click on the same link).

To take the survey, click this link: https://yeshiva.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eLDhDq4sFY9i4iq

This research has been fully approved by an ethics committee: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AmFItOiRWP2nphlpkqeU7N0a7rEnTyZJ/view?usp=sharing
Survivor Room / Re: Is this bad, can it be fixed
« Last post by Rob on September 17, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »
Hey.

Another option is that you could ring nhs direct or ask at a pharmacy what the pharmacist thinks?
Survivor Room / Is this bad, can it be fixed
« Last post by Teadrinker on September 17, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »
d day and relapsed after months. Have been trying so hard as well. So I did more than I intended :-(. Absolutely gutted and I thought I was really careful to keep v. Shallow but not sure if I've caused damage or not. Got tingling on that forearm today and some in my hand.  Can I wait to see if it improves, is there anything that can be done even if I did seek advice? Sharm not known to GP and really don't want any issue with kids as a result :-(
We would like to understand what professionals who come into contact with young people who may have experience of self-harm, think about the potential of the CaTS-App, a digital tool to improve shared understanding, assessment and support around self-harm within their work setting.
The tool is designed to be used collaboratively with a young person and will support communication and shared understanding of support needs. To ensure that we develop a tool that achieves this aim, we are involving key stakeholders in this development work, including young people, parents, and staff from across education, health, social care and charity and voluntary sectors who come into contact with young people who self-harm.

You can find out more about our research: https://digitalyouth.ac.uk/research/research-projects/cats-app-a-new-digital-tool-to-understand-and-support-young-people-who-self-harm/

How to get involved?
You can share your views by:
Completing a short anonymous survey. It will take up to 15 minutes to complete with the chance to be entered into a prize draw.
and / or signing up to take part in a small focus group with other professionals, or a 1-2-1 interview.
You will receive reimbursement for your time and we'd love to invite all those who got involved to our launch event further down the line.

Please click here to take the survey and/or to sign up for the interview: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/practitioner-cats-survey

We would love to hear from colleagues who have experience of supporting young people (aged 11-19) who self-harm across different sectors including:
health (e.g. CAMHS, GPs, clinicians, A&E staff)
educational (e.g. teachers, MHSTs, EMHPs, school nurses, SENCOs)
third sector professionals (e.g. volunteers and staff)
social care (e.g. social workers, youth workers, support workers)
and others with an interest in this area

For the survey you will be entered into a prize draw to win a shopping voucher as a thank you for your time.
For the interview/focus group you will be provided with a shopping voucher as a thank you for your time.

If you do not think this is the right opportunity for you, but that colleagues may be interested, do please forward this information. Please do get in touch with [email protected] and [email protected] with any further questions.
Hello  :welcomeani1:

My name is Bethan and I am completing research as part of my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. My topic and interest are around reasons why we experience urges to self-harm. My thesis has received ethical approval from Lancaster University Faculty of Health and Medicine Research Ethics Committee.

Thoughts and urges to self-harm are increasingly common. We are interested in finding out what causes people to experience these thoughts to help better our understanding of this and help professionals and services better support those who experience this.

You can take part if you are:
  • aged 16-25
  • live in the UK
  • have had thoughts of self-harm in the past 6 months (regardless of whether you have acted on these thoughts)

:sign0085:  If you are interested in taking part in an anonymous, multiple-choice online survey to help research to better understand self-harm, you can find out more here:
Exploring parents’ experiences and support needs when caring for young people with complex and serious physical or mental healthcare needs

(Ethics reference number: DPAP – 2023 – 3033- 4)

What is the study about?
Researchers at the University of Nottingham want to explore the experiences of caring for a child with complex mental health problems including self-harm behaviours. We aim to develop recommendations for carer support based on learnings from parent experiences of caring for a child with serious and life-threatening physical illness or complex mental health problems.

Who is eligible?
Parents who have experience supporting young people with self-harm behaviours.

How can you help?

Join an online group meeting with other parents (90 minutes) OR join a one-to-one interview with the researcher (60 minutes)

When: June/July (dates to be confirmed)

We value your expertise and offer a gift voucher to all those taking part.

If you’re interested in participating, please register your interest through this link: https://forms.office.com/e/386Jtsysgw or contact Ern Chi Yeow at [email protected] for more information.

Supervisors:
Dr Joanna Lockwood ([email protected])
Prof Elvira Perez Vallejos ([email protected]
Dr Camilla Babbage ([email protected])
We would like to understand what professionals who come into contact with young people who may have experience of self-harm, think about the potential of the CaTS-App, a digital tool to improve shared understanding, assessment and support around self-harm within their work setting. The tool is designed to be used collaboratively with a young person and will support communication and shared understanding of support needs. To ensure that we develop a tool that achieves this aim, we are involving key stakeholders in this development work, including young people, parents, and staff from across education, health, social care and charity and voluntary sectors who come into contact with young people who self-harm.

You can find out more about our research: https://digitalyouth.ac.uk/research/research-projects/cats-app-a-new-digital-tool-to-understand-and-support-young-people-who-self-harm/

How to get involved?
You can share your views by:
Completing a short anonymous survey. It will take up to 15 minutes to complete with the chance to be entered into a prize draw.
and / or signing up to take part in a small focus group with other professionals, or a 1-2-1 interview.
You will receive reimbursement for your time and we'd love to invite all those who got involved to our launch event further down the line.

:icon_arrow:  Please click here to take the survey: https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/practitioner-cats-survey and/or to sign up for focus groups/interviews.

We would love to hear from colleagues who have experience of supporting young people (aged 11-19) who self-harm across different sectors including:
  • health and social care, youth work (e.g. CAMHS, GPs, clinicians, A&E staff, social workers)
  • educational (e.g. teachers, MHSTs, EMHPs, school nurses, SENCOs)
  • third sector professionals (e.g. volunteers and staff)
    and others with an interest in this area
If you do not think this is the right opportunity for you, but that colleagues may be interested, do please forward this information. Please do get in touch with [email protected] and [email protected] with any further questions.
Who are we:
We are researchers at the University of Nottingham developing a prototype digital tool - the CaTS-app. The app is designed to be used by a clinician or other practitioners together with a young person to better understand and talk about their self-harm journey. The tool helps young people to take the lead in describing and sharing the factors that over time lead them to self-harm. We want the tool to work for young people to help them share their story so that their needs can be better identified, understood and supported wherever that conversation is taking place.

Our workshops:
We’ll all meet together (in person or online) in early July for our first workshop which will last 3 hours. We’ll get to know each other, start working together to develop our prototype CaTS-app, and have some yummy refreshments. You’ll take part in two further workshops online. These workshops will last 2 hours (with a break in the middle). We’ll support you to feelcomfortable and safe throughout.

We are looking for:
  • Young people aged 16-21 years who have any experience (current or in the past) with self-harm
  • To join up to 3 workshops
  • The first takes place online or in person in Nottingham (30th June or 1st July). The second and third take place online in July
  • They will not be asked to share any personal information about self-harm in the workshops, but to talk generally about how the app should look and function and be used
  • We offer a payment of up to £50 per person for taking part in the workshops
  • Workshops will be small – around 8 people
If you think you might be interested, please contact us on [email protected] or [email protected] and we will send you an Overview Pack to give you more information.

You can find out more about our research here: https://digitalyouth.ac.uk/research/research-projects/cats-app-a-new-digital-tool-to-understand-and-support-young-people-who-self-harm/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10