Author Topic: Norms  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Muffled

• First posts
Norms
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
 :maytrigger:
I have 2 managers who are aware I self harm.  Yesterday I cut myself accidentally on some staples and required some plasters.  Before I came back to the office I messaged to say what I'd done and that it was an accident because I knew I'd be scrutinised.

One said it was outside the norms of how and where people self harm and one said she'd expect me to do what I normally do.   I was surprised at both because I didn't think there was a norm; there is only what works ar the time.   

Is there a Norm?     I don't have a normal.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Norms
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
There are different forms (types) of self harm, which many self harmers don't vary. Perhaps cutting yourself on the staples was different enough for them to make that comment?
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »
Why did they feel the need to comment about SH if it was an accident?

There's no 'norm' as such for SH, people hurt themselves in all sorts of ways, I myself use several methods. There are more common methods, cutting on the arms seems to be the most common, perhaps that's what they meant? Many self harmers change methods over time too.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Muffled

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
It was me getting defensive, I knew they knew about the sh so I made sure they knew it wasn't sh.  Just surprised me a bit that they thought there was a norm. 

And I wondered if maybe I was odd not having a norm - I'll take any opportunity- almost feels like cheating when it's accidental.