Author Topic: Parents rant (may trig sa  (Read 9020 times)

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
Parents rant (may trig sa
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

Hey All

I am really angry with my parents at the moment they don't want me to do social work as apparently im not ready enough and haven't had much life experience. Im 26 and in my life I have had to put up with them constantly putting me down when im in a depressed mood, negative attitudes towards my career and most recently I was attacked by service user whilist I was work (I no idea of his past sexual history) and i didn't know him from adam. Plus numerous other things that have happened like my almost slitting her wrist due to a break-up, plus in 2009 I managed to talk down a third year nursing student who wanted end her life and did thr relevant referrals to agencies and got the help for her.

Academic history

Cert HE (Open) Health and Social Care 2009

Access to Health and Social Care (Three a-levels in one year, 2009)

Level 3 health and social care

That was alongside two highly demanding jobs

Gnvq Pre nursing

Now in 2012-2013 im sitting my maths. wow
RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
Re: Parents rant (may trig sa
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
No offence but at 26 what you do with your life is your own affair. I have a son of 29 and a son of 25 and they have both made some big mistakes but that was their choice. They are both happy and healthy and living their lives the way they want to live them.
My youngest son married a woman who was 12 yrs older than he was. I didnt approve but I couldnt interfere. He is now a stay at home dad with 2 young sons and I couldnt be prouder of him. His wife was earning good money so they made their choices. My oldest married a spoiled little brat and hes now divorcing her after only 2 yrs married. Hes training to be a nurse now.

Sometimes its hard to be a parent even when your children are fully grown. Its hard to let go and let them go out and make their own mistakes and triumphs in their lives. You want to interfere. My sons just have to say 'mother' and thats a signal that my 2pence worth isnt wanted..lol

You want to do social work. So do it... just because you do what you want doesnt mean you dont love them. You have done really well to get all your qualifications and now its your time to use them and do whatever you like. Tell them, if you make mistakes you will live with them and sort them out for yourself. In the meantime keep talking here and get some support. Good luck with what ever career you chose.
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't really out to get you.

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
your right Jacqui i can't pretend to like their ideal career path for me and social work is definitely what i wanna do. I don't care if takes all of my energy or i end up loosing friends etc, im going for social work if they like it or not. its actually one of my major reasons why i feel they the way i feel. :) im always put down saying i wont make it so therefore my confidence and self esteem is down the toilet seat.
RIP Night Owl

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
Good job! You go for it and hang what other people say. You are a woman in your own right and you deserve to do the job you have set your heart on.

No one can predict the future and if down the line you discover social work isn't for you then deal with that when it happens. You can do whatever you want to do.

Do you still live with your parents? That can be a big stumbling block. Speaking as a parent myself I found I was less controlling once my sons had both moved out. They live their own lives and I inevitably find out about their mistakes and achievements after they happen so I cant really complain.

Good luck with your career again.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:39:22 PM by Jacqui »
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't really out to get you.

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
It's one  of the major reasons i feel the way i feel.
RIP Night Owl

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
would you find it help full to move out? asking council or housing association to put you on their lists

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
 :hug1: :hug2:

I think its time to cut the apron strings xx If you dont want to be on your own then try looking at a house share. Its a step in the right direction.

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
im considering that option but my parents dont think realistically im ready x
RIP Night Owl

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
What do YOU think? If its just your parents opinion I would be inclined to go and prove them wrong. Take your chances and make them proud rather than critical.

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
What do YOU think? If its just your parents opinion I would be inclined to go and prove them wrong. Take your chances and make them proud rather than critical.
+1