NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Diagnosis

<< < (2/2)

Vermilion:
Things like autism and ADHD etc are developmental issues where as PDs are psychological so they're different specialties, albeit co morbid. The lack of support for adults with high functioning autism and mental health issues is appalling, the two departments need to work together more.

I find MH support feels a bit like a competition- whoever can hurt themselves the most severely wins the treatment. They probably have to prioritise because of the severe lack of funding but it comes across as dismissive.

I always say that you can never prepare enough, I'd try working on a crisis plan with your psych just in case things get bad but the trouble is that MH is so unpredictable. Discussing this with your partner would be a good idea too because he/she would probably notice any odd behaviour etc that could be signs of a crisis and come up with a plan that you're both happy with.
Some people go through many dxs until they find one that fits and maybe you've found the correct one.

Lorien:
I feel you on the feeling like a competition thing. I think that was probably one really unhelpful thing that was almost always true. The more significant the thing I did the more everyone focused on the risk, but often that was in the way of focusing on what was happening to make that risk higher. Also, the less likely people were to hear what I was saying about what I thought would help or not help. I guess there are times that I feel really guilty about the amount that I much I must have cost the NHS over the years. But that is also mixed up with a lot of resentment of the fact that if they had got it right in the first instance I probably wouldn't have.

Since I wrote the original thread I am a lot less angry (most of the time) and between times there was a period of time where sleeping went out the window and I was really agitated. They increased the medication they had already been prescribing and gave me temazepam and diazepam to manage the agitation. So I have now spoken to the new Consultant, although making myself understood was difficult at the time so mostly they spoke to my partner.  I don't actually know what they made of it at the time and I will have to wait until I see them at the end of October. My partner is coming too so she will help ask if I can't. I'm already quite worried about the appointment even though its just less than a month away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version