NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Thought Diary

(1/2) > >>

Gerard:
My counsellor has given me a thought diary to complete. It's a template with some instructions, e.g., 'write about a situation or event in which you were upset/distressed. Record the situation. Write down the the words that best describe your feelings. Activating event, beliefs, consequences, unhelpful thinking patterns'.

I've never done anything like this before. Is it useful?

split:
I had to do similar things when I did CBt when I was younger. I found it helpful in identifying what topics/situations made me anxious/uncomfortable so that I could try to start addressing them. It worked in part because it encouraged me to leave home, but I still have a number fixation and a long list me phobias... So I guess its effectiveness depends on whether the things you would be writing about could be changed.

Skye:
I had to do one and it did help to work through although I had to work really hard to keep things honest and open  :hug1:

Nightowl:
We did something similiar, called chain analysis, at the TC.

It was done after an episode of what was called a self defeating behaviour and helped to look at what had happened and how we could make it have a different outcome in the future.

unknown_member:
i've done this whilse receiving CBT too.. and it really helping me, i still use some of the techniques today xx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version