Author Topic: Channel 4 series on MH and employment  (Read 9215 times)

Offline babylady

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Channel 4 series on MH and employment
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »
I watched it with my husband and found it interesting but difficult to watch, especially when they were covering sui thoughts and how you do really feel like it is the best thing for your family to not have to suffer 'you'. I also felt bad because this programe covered those who are still a success despite difficult mental health issues and I am not a sucsess in any way, still not good enough and I don't know how I should feel about that, but I feel quite doomed. Also left with feelings of anger about a large group of people who turned on me for being mentally unwell and turned me into someone who is horrid and bad when these people had nothing but support.

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
I had exactly the same thoughts RE the successful people and support. She needed to show someone that didnt have their own business or was high up in a company. She needed someone that is on ESA and being forced to go back to work.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »
I think it is an interesting point - I felt similarly about the whole success thing but I tried to keep in mind that the point was to show that people with MH probs can still work and do a good job...kind of batter the 'flake' 'incapable' 'uesless' sterotypes.

I found it really kind of grrr that the people that dared to speak out...had very 'safe' issues.

But regardless of that...im quite encouraged that it is a move in the right direction.

Ruby Wax, Stephen Fry, Jo Brand etc all very public all very well liked all working hard to improve things. I think a lot of people are waaay behind...my psych is very much of the opinion I should say nothing to anyone.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:10 PM »
Just about to watch Jon Richardson - A Little Bit OCD
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
I watched the ruby wax one... i was kind of annoyed that they showed the priory... the mental health hospital i went to was nothing like that and i think people should give a realistic view on how things will be... MH hospitals are horrible harsh places; where you have to learn to fend for yourself.. and don't get much support from staff as they are too busy... i think that side of MH should be shown on tele as well ...
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Yes, I thought that too bg, it was nothing like that for me either.

I really thought the Jon Richardson programme was excellent.  He explored the nature of OCD really sensitively and showed how extremely some people suffer, but equally others live comfortably with the traits.  A really good insight.  As someone with a diagnosis of OCD, I would like others to watch it and see how it affects people in different ways.
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

split

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
i watched the John Richardson, little bit OCD.

i rather liked it. i have been incorrectly labeled with OCD and the show just went to highlight that it can be easy to be mistaken for a sufferer these days as its is quite widely talked about (and cruelly joked about). i believe i fit a similar remit to john richardson, i am a percectionist, i pride myself on cleanliness and personal hygeine and have a slight fixation with the number 5, but it doesnt control my life, i just like things done in a particular way, and mrs split agrees with me. i think the way he broached the subject was rather compassionate to the sufferers featured, and the condition as a whole, but i think that was partly due to having i degree of understanding from his own anxiety over his ability to control his surroundings.

i didn't watch the ruby wax thing... but from knowing someone who was once sectioned within the priory, after their release (when i met them) they had a rather deluded view of the mental health system, as i had only experienced it from the NHS perspective and they from private/priory care, i could tell the difference.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
the mh employment one was good...was quite heartened by the fact that the pros got it wrong a few times. Also obviously that the employers chose 3 people with mh probs as their top 3 candidates
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
World's maddest job interview? I'm watching it now
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman