Author Topic: Getting fit and healthy - buddy required  (Read 5970 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Getting fit and healthy - buddy required
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
As we all probably know already, taking some exercise and trying to get fitter and healthier is an important aspect of improving your mental heath etc.

Basically, my physical fitness is rubbish. I'm not eating properly. I REALLY want to change but i'm weak and pathetic. I really require a buddy to try and do this with, so does anyone want to join me on a health and fitness kick thing?
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: Getting fit and healthy - buddy required
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
Meeeeee! I've just started couch to 5k using a zombie app. https://www.zombiesrungame.com

Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »
Hey Terri!! :wave:

Im just looking at that link now! Looks pretty good very creative idea! How are you finding it so far? Is it easy to use? Does it ease you in, because i'm starting from absolute scratch!!
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:03:38 AM »
I really like it so far. It eases you in very slowly! I am also starting from scratch, though I have done a bit of swimming recently. The first exercise session with the zombie thing is a 30 minute free-style walk/run. I mostly walked it. ::P: The second, third and fourth session (starting tomorrow for me, as I was too achy today ::) ) is 10 minutes walking, then 10 sets of 15 seconds slow running alternating with 1 minute of walking, then a 10 minute free form thing. It builds you up slowly from there over eight weeks, with the eighth week (hopefully ;D ) being a 5k run.

It tracks you via gps and tells you about calories and stuff and there's a website that I haven't really looked into yet.

Offline Twinkle twinkle little star

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • fighting my way to the surface
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:11 AM »
Try 30 day challenges
They start easy and add more each day and give rest days.
I started doing one of them, I now do 3
Good luck x x
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad." - Salvador Dali.

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
What are 30 day challenges, Tazzie?

I'm going for my next run at 8:30, so in ten minutes. If anyone sees me doing anything else (ie. posting on here), poke me until I've got my trainers on.

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
I didn't quite go at 8:30, but I did go! Yippee!

I found the run/walk very doable, and I'm really unfit. The voice is really encouraging and I like the way it incorporates your own playlist, rather than having to listen to their music.

I've looked a bit more into the website and it looks pretty cool. It shows you all sorts of statistics, like how fast you've ran during certain songs, distance covered, calories used... You can also collect items on missions to help you to build a base, but I think you have to be doing proper missions to get those, which I'll do after I've graduated from C25K. It's a bit geeky, but I like it. ;D

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
Yep I ll join you both  :)

:hyper:

Offline Twinkle twinkle little star

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • fighting my way to the surface
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »
Google 30 day challenges. There is also an app too
There are various challenges depending on what you want to work on
They start off easy, for example 5 sit ups 5 crunches then the next day will be 10, then every 4/5 days there is a rest day
The only exercise I struggled with was anything I had to put weight on my wrist.
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad." - Salvador Dali.