Author Topic: ESA HELP * SH TRIGGER)  (Read 16565 times)

Offline Hysteria

• 18+
  • Gold Member
ESA HELP * SH TRIGGER)
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
I got the dreaded form thru this morning  after getting the phonecall last week    it's amazing how the DWP can be quick when it comes to stuff like this yet drag their heels on other stuff :no:

Anyway  I have read thru the form twice and have to say it is a joke there are hardly any questions re  Mental Health issues  how can I fill this form in properly is beyond me :(

My CC will be helping as much as she can but as to providing medical evidence I am stuck    I only have my care plans which aren't that detailed as evidence   I have spoken to my Dr but he is reluctent to help  ::)    can anyone  help me by letting me know what exactly they will except  as evidence .

Up until a few weeks ago I was doing ok  now I am very stressed  scared and SH again :(
Thread killer ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: ESA HELP * SH TRIGGER)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
I had to fill in one of these the other day. Can you not get a medical note from the your GP?
In some of the questions, I included things like, getting anxious when somewhere new, finding it hard to communicate because I am worried of people's reactions, putting things off due to Mental health, not thinking things through rationally. Basically any question that wasn't related to physical problems, I answered in some way in relation to my mood and the way in which I perceive things. It is quite a bad form for mental health issues, and I did feel like I was clutching at straws when I filled it in. In terms of whether they will accept this as evidence, I am yet to find out. But I really hope they do, because I do not know what else can be done/shown.
I hope this helps in some way :)

Offline Hysteria

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »
thankies    I had heard about how bad the form was  but was not expecting  it to be this bad  :(

I am in two minds to already get myself an appeal form ready :(
Thread killer ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »
Can you get appeal forms? Where from?
I have been waiting for them to make a decision since 13th July, I am getting so annoyed and stressed by it all. They really should have a new system for vulnerable people, because this is ridiculous. I really wish I could help you or make you feel better about it all, but at least we both now know that we are not alone :)

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
Apparently they will give details about how to appeal against a decision if they turn you down - and this is seems to result in many appeals being upheld.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Tania

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Strength and Hope
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
 :wave:

Medical evidence wise you can send absolutely anything you think might prove what they are saying. It doesn't just have to be medical evidence. For example you could send along with it a statement from someone who knows you, a copy of your prescription, a supporting letter from anybody else involved in your care (such as voluntary organisations, therapists etc.).

Employment Support Allowance uses a point scored system. You need to score 15 points in order to be awarded it. After which you are placed in one of two groups. These are the support group (like the old Incapacity Benefit) where you are classed as unable to work at all. Or you are placed in the 'Work Related Activity Group'. This group will attend 'work focused interviews'. That doesn't necessarily mean you would be expected to find work but it does means they would try and help you into work kind of things such as courses or voluntary work. If you do want to work in some way you would be supported to do so. You can appeal if you are either not awarded it at all or if you feel you are placed into the wrong group. You do this by filling out a 'if you think your decision is wrong' form (link below) and sending a simple letter explaining why you want to appeal. It is first then 'reconsidered' by another agent and if they uphold the original decision then you can ask that it go to a tribunal. This is not as daunting as it sounds (won't go into that further here at the moment).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017514

The 15 points can be awarded for one thing or it can be a combination of points from the different aspects discussed on the form. The stronger sections to really go for mental health wise are:
Under the physical descriptors
6. Other people communicating with you. (Scoring 6 or 15 points)
This is a bit of a tricky one but if you can talk about anxiety hindering your ability to communicate with others you can score on this one.

Under the Mental and Cognitive function descriptors
12. Awareness of hazard or danger (Can score 6, 9 or 15)
Here you have the opportunity to show how you might be a danger to yourself or to others (including damage to property). You can also talk about reduced 'awareness' of hazards (if medication has an effect on you talk about it here).

13. Initiating actions (Scores 6, 9 or 15)
Here you can explain how your mental illness prevents you from initiating. This means the 'get up and go' in terms of mental ill health. If you did not have someone to prompt you to do things would you still do them? Do you struggle with motivation? Do you have to use aids of any kind in order to encourage you to do things?

14. Coping with change (Scores 6, 9 or 15)
This is about coping with minor or major changes. Do changes to plans cause you anxiety? Does this impact on your day to day life. If someone changes something does it have a big effect. If an appointment is changed do you find that hard to cope with?

15. Going out (scores 6, 9 or 15 points)
Do you need someone to go with you to places you either know or don't know? Do you loose track of where you are? Does medication cause you to struggle to concentrate or follow instructions?

16. Coping with social situations (Scores 6, 9 or 15 points)
Do you have difficulty relating to other people? Do you find crowded places difficult? Do you find people over powering? How are you with people you know and how are you with people you don't know?

17. Behaving appropriately with others (Scores 9 or 15)
Do you get easily irritable or angry? Do you snap at others? Do you say things that upset other people? Would your 'behaviour' be unreasonable in a workplace? Do you get aggressive? Have you ever hurt anybody physically or got so angry that you have tried to?

If you manage to score 15 points you will be awarded ESA. After than you have to have illustrated in what you have written that you totally fit the criteria for one of the following to make it into the support group. These descriptors are not point scored, you either meet them or you don't: (I am listing the ones that you are most likely to hit based on mental health)
(These are direct quotes)
10. Awareness of hazard
Reduced awareness of everyday hazards, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, leads to a significant risk of -injury to self or others or damage to property or possessions such that they require supervision for the majority of the time to maintain safety

11. Initiation
Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions

12. Coping with change
Cannot cope with change due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed

13. Coping with social engagement
Engagement in social content is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distressed experienced by the individual

14. Appropriateness of behaviour
Has on a daily basis uncontrollable episodes of aggression or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in a workplace

The parts above give you an idea of the things they are looking for on the form. My tips are:
-Do not attempt to complete the form in one go. Do some one day and then do more the next (especially if you find you are getting stressed)
-Start by just filling in the factual stuff -GP etc.
-Get some paper and make a list of what you find difficult, any examples you have and think about how those would relate to a workplace.
-Leave the large section 'tell us about your difficulties' till last. It is much much easier to do when you have worked through the rest of the form because you are then essentially summarising what you have said
-Under other information give the names and addresses of any other professionals that you come into contact with. Choose the most appropriate for the 'does anyone provide you with support or treatment' and then list anybody else in the extra information.

It could take up to roughly 6 weeks for them to process your claim so it is not unusual for someone not to have heard in that length of time. Usually (though not always) if they do not award you it and you decide to appeal you will be placed back on the assessment phase rate which means they won't stop your money.

If you are awarded it and placed in the WRAG you will get it for one year based on national insurance contributions. If you don't have any (or after the year) you can get it if you have a low income. If you get into the support group you will get it regardless of NI contributions. (You can ask them to process it based on income if you want to try for help with things like mortgage interest etc.)

If you have any questions I am happy to see if I can answer them.

x
Put your arms around my soul and take me dancing.......

Offline Hysteria

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
Tania  thankyou so much   :thumbsup: :)

My CC now has my form and she is going to have a read of it  then we are getting together and going to fill it in   , she will be providing me with a personal statement and will provide copies of my care plans  and other stuff  and I will be getting a copy of one of my  weekly prescriptions and will try and get my Dr to write a personal statement  .

Thread killer ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline Tania

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Strength and Hope
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
 :)

x
Put your arms around my soul and take me dancing.......

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
That information is really useful wish I had known that before hand. I may also need to ask your advice on this further if that is ok? x

Offline Hysteria

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
Hi all  I thought I would  bumb  just to let you know  my cc  helped me with filling in the form I also included a right up to date  care plan  which my cc kindly did for me and a script showing what medication I am taking .

Also a tip for anyone who is receiving treatment by a therapist / mental health team  technically you are classed as an out patient so make sure you tick that box and supply the place you are receiving said treatment  :;):

Absolutely put your worst day and describe if you can your feelings  of how your illness makes you feel .

Anyway  I sent off my form and sat around waiting for the phonecall to tell when and where my medical would be , I waited  3 weeks  and nothing till I got a letter from the DWP  saying I am being moved over to the ESA  support group from beginning of November    I had to re read the letter a few times for it to sink in   I then started  crying .

So I would like to say thankyou for the replies which gave me support and advice  and to those going thru this  please  don't give up hope  and if you do have to go to a medical   don't forget you can appeal if you are not happy 
Thread killer ¯\(°_o)/¯