Author Topic: Friends legging it!!!  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Friends legging it!!!
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »

Just wondered ever since I have been Suicidal people have legged it from me and won't talk to me I just wondered if I was the only one or if others experience the same thing.

I have been Suicidal for about the last seven or eight weeks and so many people have left my life in that time and basically said its too much for them.

Hash

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: Friends legging it!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
I think I've only been suicidal once, and that was only to the point of planning it, but I didn't tell anyone other than an OT I had, so no one ran away because of that. I have lost a lot of people through having MH issues though. I used to have a big social group and go out often, but that all stopped when I became unwell.

I will say though, that in some ways it's been a blessing. I can count the number of close, true friends I have on one hand, but they really are amazing. We've been through thick and thin and I'd much rather have them, than have people that can't cope with the whole of me (unwellness and all).

How're you doing? :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
I've experienced that too. I didn't tell anyone but people found out as I was reported missing and the police broke into my house so a lot of people eventually found out. I lost 'friends' and family and have friends who never treated me the same again. I was physically attacked by my neighbours on getting out of hospital they were so angry about the noise the police had caused breaking in looking for me. They said some incredibly abusive things about mental health and suicide, so much so they were reported for hate crime by the police for it. It is something a lot of people don't understand, but there are some people who do understand, won't run, and want to help. It can take a while to find those people though. Do you have anyone around who is supporting you?

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
People just got to know that I was Suicidal through chinese whispers and I have a prayer web and they support me so I told them and some of them legged it.

I have my husband and Crisis team, my best friends are in New Zealand  and church friends have legged it.

I don't feel supported at all and I am struggling cos hubbie is struggling himself but in a way that is making me be strong for his sake so he doesnt completely break down. I can't afford to kill myself because I would be destroying his life. He already thinks I don't love him.

Hash

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
I'm so sorry you've been let down by your friends, it isn't usually because they don't care, but because they feel helpless and don't know what to do. Not that I want to make excuses for them, it's you that's important in this. Does your church have a counsellor or a sympathetic pastor or anything who you could speak to about the way they've responded and how it's affecting you? They may want to help but don't know how and so are panicking and running. The whole church family thing sometimes rings true, churches can be even more complicated than real families can sometimes.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
When I was younger I was very suicidal and eventually after some pretty distressing incidents the police became involved and my school. My friends found out about what was going on with me and almost all of them abandoned me, it was absolutly heart-breaking as these were people i'd been best friends with since I was 3 / 4 years old. It ended up being a really tough life lesson. However, looking back on it now, I think their age affected their behaviour. It's hard to understand and be sympathetic to someone with MH problems when your 14 / 15. Adults in theory should know better, but in my experience, not all of them do!!
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."