Author Topic: self conscious about scars  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
self conscious about scars
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
I don't know what to do, i've started placement (at the hospital) where i will spend the majority of the next 3 years. One of my forearms is quite badly scared, and i only really started taking notice of it whilst i was at the hospital. I have to wear scrubs so they don't even cover the elbow. Some of my scars are still very red, and i'm very conscious of them with the bright light and lack of clothing, i haven't been bothered until now as i've seen it as a sign of getting through difficult times (and it is preventing me from cutting my arms anymore) but i'm worried about what both patients and staff are going to say. When i'm putting monitoring equipment on patients or putting up drips i suddenly realise they can see and panic. I don't know what to do, my practice nurse recommended i either wear a bandage or ask my GP for camouflage but neither are really an option when in a sterile environment and bandaging would be really costly. I'm not sure what to do and its really upsetting me. I wish i never started self harming

Offline ~hannah~

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Buddy - PM or Email Any Questions!
Re: self conscious about scars
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:58:52 AM »
Sounds tough  :(

Is there a tutor/mentor type person you could ask what maybe others have done in the past?

It's really hard, accepting your scars. Thinking of you and hope you find a way through soon. xxx
*cat* <-- Calypso! Thanks SD x

Make Friends With Your Past, Then You Can Leave It At Last, Its Time To Find Yourself In Your Revolution.

Smile Like No One's Watching & Laugh Like There Is No Tomorrow!

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
I don't really want to talk to them about it. I've never disclosed my SH to any of them- the likely  hood is that they've noticed since 3 people on my course have asked me about the scars. I'm really stuck :(

Thanks so much xx

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
I know it's not particularly easy but the way I have found best to deal with scars when in uniform/on placement is too ignore them myself. If you appear confident in yourself (even if you dont feel it) it inspired others to have confidence in you. In 2 1/2 years very few people have commented and of those that have its always been innocent curiosity and no-one has ever suggested or implied that it interferes with my job.

(also I have found whilst camouflage can reduce the appearance of scars, it doesn't cover them completely especially when in close contact with people). 
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
Interesting point hidden tears thank you. I'm confident with myself until i realise they're there. Most of the time i forget i have them. guess it's just something to deal with

Offline kc

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »
must be really tough. i know i'm lucky with my scars as don't have many and i'm able to keep mine covered in my job. but when i spent time in hosiptal there was a midwife there who i noticed sh scares on (think its because i sh) but no one else did. infact she delivered my sisters baby before mine and when i mentioned it to my sister a few months later she said she didn't notice. so don't worry about it.
Don't feel sorry for me. my life is my own personal hell but I'll see the exit to it soon.