Author Topic: Had an accident  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
Had an accident
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
So im a disabled student, and i'm in a new room to what i used to be in. I'm in an adapted one finally. On sunday night, my shower seat broke off the wall, and i've bruised my hip and back badly and cut all my back open on the screws. They finally removed it today but still have not replaced it. They hadn't given me my emergency alarm, so i had to make my own way to security and then to the hospital (i'm at uni by the way). I can't go on placement or uni because i'm a risk for infection in the hospital.. But im not starting to get unwell so it's either coincidence or it's getting infected. i'll find out tomorrow. I'm not sure what to do.. Do i do a formal complaint? It never looked safe but i had no choice but to use it. They clearly hadn't inspected it before i moved in. The week before i slipped in the shower when the light went off randomly. I don't know what to do anymore. i'm currently in agony and really anxious because i just don't feel safe anymore!! I don't know if i should just leave it or make a fuss about it

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Had an accident
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »
You do need to make a fuss - you've been injured through no fault of your own.  If youdve hit your head you could have died.  I'm not saying you should sue (although you could) but if they are not checking things properly the same could happen to someone else.
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »
You do need to make a fuss - you've been injured through no fault of your own.  If youdve hit your head you could have died.  I'm not saying you should sue (although you could) but if they are not checking things properly the same could happen to someone else.
totaly agree with haley you should make a fuss, god forbid it may be worse if it happens again with something else because they didnt check it safty

hope you ok hun :hug1:

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
Definitely complain and make a fuss, it should have been their responsibility to check that everything was safe. Did you go to your GP or A&E to have a look at your injuries? If not I would recommend you do so, so that you have substantial evidence about the extent of your injuries. I would also say it would be a good idea to seek professional advise to check that you haven't done any lasting damage, and to check that it isn't infected.
Hakuna Matata

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
I spoke to someone in the uni today who's helped me with my disability benefits etc and she was appauled and has sent me the formal complaints procedure stuff. I was supposed to have my new shower seat installed yesterday morning yet i still don't have it. I haven't showered since sunday.. it's not wednesday night i feel disgusting, my boyfriend is coming over tomorrow, if my shower seat is here he's going to have to re-dress my wounds which i feel so bad for him having to do.. But if it's not he's going to have to help me shower. Which i don't want to have to rely on him helping me again. I went to minor injuries unit, they dressed them etc then i had to go back today for dressing change, then back friday and then back monday :( Saw my GP this morning and she said it didn't look great so i'm on antibiotics now as it's starting to look infected. i'm just all over the place with this now x

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
make a formal complaint as soon as you can
write down what happened etc

RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
I spoke to someone in the uni today who's helped me with my disability benefits etc and she was appauled and has sent me the formal complaints procedure stuff.

I am so glad that someone from uni is on your side. Make sure you go through with the formal complaint and ask her to help you with it if need be. Don't be embarrassed that you bf has to help you, this is not at all your fault. I am sure he completely understands and is supporting your decision to complain. Has anything else been done yet to improve your shower situation? I would recommend asking about it again tomorrow so that it can be fixed before the weekend.
Hakuna Matata

split

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
Take photos of your injuries. Just like in accident claims (I don't consider this an accident, it is negligence on their part) provide proof of your injuries and by the time this comes to a head they may have healed. Take a photo every day or every other day (make sure it is an auto date photot: electronic tag in the corner). Also, explain to the doctors and nurses treating you that you are putting in a complaint so could they keep their accurate as possible (they have a tendancy to put "swinks:date:dressings changed" when it would be much more persuasive to your complaint when it says "swinks:date: during dressing change to open back wound smell noted, anti biotics prescribed for onset of infection and redressed. Patient notes of discomfort, painkillers and anti inflamatory prescribed..." You get the gist).

Lay it on thick, but you will be laying it on thick with facts.

I am not disabled but my mum was in a chair and eventually bed bound so I know the difficulties that differently abled people face and it really gets my goat that people think that they can get away with substandard service. If this was the council and an old ladys hand rail fell off causing her to fall there would be a huge outcry!

Sorry, rant over!