Author Topic: Sh and painkillers *mt*  (Read 3958 times)

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
Sh and painkillers *mt*
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
I don't know whether this is in the right place, if not please feel free to move.

The lady I live with has managed to persuade me this eve to take some painkillers, because it would make her feel better. I said I didn't deserve it or feel like I should as its my own fault, but she said she finds it really hard to see me clearly in pain when I can do something about it and that if to have sh in the first place Im clearly in a difficult place and need to look after myself/let other people look after me (one way being taking painkillers).

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on taking painkillers after having sh?  Have you ever taken them? Would you suggest it to anyone else?

I don't feel like I should take them, because, well it just feels wrong. However, I wouldn't want somebody else to be in pain and would offer/encourage my patients to take them if they were in pain whatever the cause (including sh). I think its one of those things where its a case of one rule for me and one rule for everyone else  :whistler:

*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline 5u2

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • I wish I could be normal
Re: Sh and painkillers *mt*
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »
Hey.

I see SH as a spur of the moment type of thing. That you want to feel soooo much pain straight away, and afterwards I always feel like a bit of a doughnut because it still hurts and the moment has passed. So I generally take painkillers, because I think, if I feel better mentally, I should allow myself to feel better physically.

Hope this helped.
Look after yourself - if you need painkillers, take them. Even though it's self inflicted, you still deserve pain-relief. :)

*Hugs*
xxx
xxxSuZyxxx

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »
Hey.

I don't remember ever taking painkillers for SH. I remember, after I'd had a skin graft, my Mum asking me to take some because I was obviously in pain (I was limping), but even then I couldn't bring myself to. Partially because I didn't think I deserved to, but also partly because I found the pain comforting.

I would encourage others to do so though. Like you, ht, I guess it's a "one rule for me, one rule for everyone else" thing. Other people are nice, don't deserve pain etc.

A sensible thing my old CPN did when I was refusing pain meds was to remind me that being in physical pain can have a negative impact on mental health. Being in discomfort can make you feel 100x worse so getting the pain under control may well have a positive effect emotionally. I can now see that that's very sensible, even if I couldn't at the time.

I think you've done a really positive thing by taking pain killers. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
i havent ever taken them but it seem to be a good idie :tiny doggie:

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

I tiook painkillers when I had done something major which meant the pain happened over a matter of days. I think it is a good thing to take painkillers when you need them its a way of looking after yourself.