Author Topic: Has anyone ever requested access to their medical records???  (Read 5714 times)

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
Has anyone ever requested access to their medical records???
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
Hi guys,

Im hoping some of you might have some experience of this?

I have called and made a request to see a copy of all my medical notes from the last 18 months, they are sending me out the form.

I feel that I need to see them so that I know what mh profs have written about me, partly because I cant bear that they are writing things about me, and that they can see what each other have written but I dont know what is being written about me. It scares me about what might be there. I also feel I need to read it so that if anyone in my care team cannot be trusted, that should come to light if I read my notes.

My care co-ordinator has said that its within my rights to do this and has supported me to get the number, and has strongly recommended that I have her or C with me when I read them, in case something in there upsets me or I have questions.

My mum has said she understands why I feel I need to see my notes but has advised me to re-think this. She has said that she is concerned that if I am upset by something that is written, or feel that my trust has been broken again because of something that was written (particularly if it was months ago), then I will be left with no support (or saying very little to my care team because I dont trust them) and that in turn will set me back.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble. What I'm trying to ask is has anyone ever requested access to their mh notes and read them through?? What were your experiences of this (both positive and negative very much appreciated!!!)

xx
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
Re: Has anyone ever requested access to their medical records???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
I haven't, but a medical professional accessed them to write a medical report and I was devastated at the bits that were quoted. 

You need to be aware that before they are released that they may black out bits  / remove  bits if they feel that seeing them would endanger your health. 

I would really strongly recommend that you have a MH professional with you when you read them.  I didn't even see mine and the consequences were quite drastic.

:hug2:
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
I was devastated at the bits that were quoted. 

Yea, thats what Im worried about, and what my mum is very worried about.

I dont know what to do for the best. I very strongly feel that I need to know what theyre writing, I need to make sure they can be trusted. But then there's that doubt, and then mum's voice saying 'Is it really worth losing their support over something they wrote a year ago????'. She has a point.

If I do get them, I will read them with my cc and/or C.

Im not sure ::-\:

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
I dont know what to do for the best. I very strongly feel that I need to know what theyre writing, I need to make sure they can be trusted.
I am wondering why you feel so strongly?  How will you determine whether they can be trusted? and also, what will you do if you decide they can't be trusted?  Where will you get your support?

I'm glad you will have a professional with you  :hug2:
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
Because I find it really really difficult to cope with the fact that they write about me and I don't know what is written, makes me worried :(

If they can't be trusted then I won't have any support, but is that better than having support I can't trust?? I really don't know, feeling very confused about it.

I don't want to lose their support. Is it better to not know? I don't know.

:'( :'(

Offline dark_chick

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
I havn't accsess my records, although I have requested copies of letters that have been sent and my GP has given me a few copies. One was a summary and it really upset me. Partly because it gave a diagnosis that I didn't want to see and partly because it's your personal information laid bare, theres no way to hide. I also felt that at times (probably due to a lack on communcation on my part) that they made wrong conclusions and at a few points it looked like I had been lying. But because I had seen this I was able to talk about it and make it clear what I ment when I spoke to them again. Theres a lot of my records that I wouldn't want to read because I know that it will upset me.

You are within your rights to read what has been written but please bare in mind that even through professionals need to write in a professional manner at all time sometimes this can get forgotten (or written in a polite way). It hasn't been unknown for things to be wrote such as: following a long discussion, I explained in detail about x. Which I feel is politely written but there may be some underlying frustration. Even though you can accsess your notes they are never really written for you, they are written so that the professinals know your issues and that then can communicate with each other and remember what has been previously said. And that's the bit that scares me - people can get an opinion of me before I see them, and sometimes it's nice to explain stuff myself. I hope that sort of made sense.

In my opinion if you are going to reaad 18 months worth of notes (depending on how regular your contact is) there is probably going to be something that is going to upset you or that a proffesional misunderstood. And also be aware that even if you changed services they will have summary records of previous services which may be refered to within the notes. As long as you are aware of this I'm guessing that it won't be a problem.

take care

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
I have done this. I wanted to know everything that was written about a particular period.

As others have said, there is an odd style to them. They are professionally written, and sometimes that can come across as a bit cold, but it's because they write concisely.

Having someone there when you read them is probably a good idea. Either a MH professional, or a friend or something.

Also bear in mind that it isn't as ordered as you think it might be. Mine was a jumble of print-outs, small appointment card type thingies, and such like. I was always imagining it being a nicely ordered file of a4 sheets of paper, and it really wasn't!
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline sparkledust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • when you wish upon a star.........
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
i did have access to my notes a few years ago and i strongly believe you need to be mentally well enough to contemplate that they maybe things written about you that you  dont agree with such as a diagnosis and consider what you will do with this information when you get it cause you cant change it you cant change peoples opinions

i didnt remember alot of what i had said or done and there were and awful lot of notes for me my cpn at the time said i could only read them in the offices where they could help me if they needed to but as i recovered more i was able to have copies so i could read them privately at home
i remember being really upset of the things i said and did and i didnt realise how ill i was really

i think your mum has an opinion but you need to decide for you and reading what you have written i am worried that it may set you back right now and that is hard to consider

i hope this makes sense it is a bit of a ramble response :blushing:

p.s their handwriting is awful on mine had to ask what was written on some bits lol
[img width=250 height=52]
there is no such thing as strangers,simply friends waiting to meet

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
i nver tryed it but its intereting to hear it  :hyper: