Author Topic: 13 reasons why *trig*  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
13 reasons why *trig*
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
 :maytrigger: suicide , SA, bullying etc

I'm feeling triggered by this program and i haven't even watched it. I am surprised there isn't already a post about it? I couldn't find one anyway. Maybe it isn't available in the UK but i doubt it. Anyway everyone is talking about it and i read the book a while ago so i know what happens and i know that watching it will be too triggering for me but everyone is watching it and talking about it which is triggering in itself and ive been SH free for quite a long time now so it must be bad to trigger me. Anyone else feel the same ? Or has anyone watched it? I really want to watch it even though i know i shouldn't which seems a little self destructive  :fryingpan:
What does everyone think about it all?
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: 13 reasons why *trig*
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:23:48 AM »
I wondered if there would be a post too.

I watched it, I was in a pretty odd space and actually I found it helpful. In that it showed me that carrying all of the reasons that other people hurt just makes things a lot worse. There are things other people might find triggering that I wouldn't like SA and I was quite carefully aware of what would come up in each episode.  The ending I was worried about. But actually it was so far removed from what reality would be that it didn't affect me at all. It also made me look at how other people would be affected. I can definitely see why it would be triggering, I can see why it is talked about, but like I said, in the place I was in it was helpful.  I don't think I would recommend watching if you think that it would make you feel worse but sometimes watching morbid things when I feel quite like that helps. I think that was why.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:39:17 AM »
 :maytrigger:
Thanks for replying Lorien. Interesting that you watched and were ok about it, that's promising because I really want to see what everyone is talking about. I shouldn't have a problem I've been good for so long now, but found all the topics it has brought everyone to talk about (which is a good thing) bringing back a lot of stuff that doesn't normally cross my mind anymore. I was worried about the ending but I am at least prepared like you say. I will end up watching it, think it is inevitable, just need to be prepared and keep safe from my own brain  ::)
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
I genuinely think that it helps a lot that it is so fake, maybe it's worth making sure you have something nice to turn to if it is difficult and you can't watch more?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline ebonytigger

• Standard Member
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
I haven't watched it but did read the book.

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
Oh holy hell!!!!! Ok i read the book so i knew what was Gonna happen but the program is way more intense.strongly advise against watching if any issues with SA. Think i need to make someone watch the rest with me . I should stop but i can't  :sofa1:
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »
I watched it all. It got a lot of negative press (mainstream media and some MH types), primarily on the basis that 'glamorises suicide'. I didn't feel that way, personally. Another thing I've seen people say is 'she did it out of spite'. Again, I don't agree. It's a story of escalation - all the little things, being ignored, undermined after having been assaulted. Thought her school counsellor was fairly useless, tbh. It is quite difficult to watch at times, alright. They're going to add more trigger warnings. http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/13-reasons-why-trigger-warnings-netflix-1202404969/

It's going to split people, it's that sort of show.

Haven't read the book. A second season is pointless, but this is Netflix we're talking about - more episodes, more episodes... ::)

Amongst other things

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:56:47 AM »
Yeah why would you add a second series that is completely pointless  :>:(:.
I do think it's good because everyone is talking about it and they have added her parents in which i think its good to show how broken they are. It is SO intense though that rape scene has traumatised me i wasn't expecting them to show so much they definitely need more trigger warnings. I am all kinds of triggered at tbe moment and it's been a long time since I've been triggered by anything. Gonna hide in bed today and put myself back together  :hide: :16969: :dog41:
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
Fictional TV doesn't usually bother me, not in the days afterwards. 13RW will live on for a while due to the criticisms, issues and whatever they do with it next year.

I watched a documentary about post-psychosis and depression recently. It was heartbreaking because it was real. :( The former I've never heard discussed at all on a radio show or in any other media. No mother should have to go through that. There should be conferences about it, to be frank.

Amongst other things

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
No i have never heard anything discussed about psychisis either. I imagine it was interesting though although heartbreaking because of the reality of it.

I've seen it all now. I made my friends from work watch the last 2 episodes with me because i knew it would be intense. It has really messed with my head i must admit. I think for me it covers topics that affect me a lot. But i simply cannot believe how completely they showed her leaving (struggling to explain myself whilst following forum rules. I'm sure anyone who had watched will know what i mean)
The images are b**ned into my brain. Think i will need to be very nice to myself for the next week  :hide: :hide: :hide:
Last SH 18/02/12