Author Topic: Work woes etc  (Read 4290 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Work woes etc
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »
I'm sure I'm not alone in this but I often have issues with working. Especially full time work which when I have been employed is what I've done, and what I'm doing now.

My mental health is fairly stable but I have blips, and stress causes them to get a lot worse. I don't manage to get enough sleep and work is stressful and poorly managed so I'm basically working like mad all day. It's a viscous cycle because being stressed and sleep deprived means I get sick lots.

I've only been at this job about 7 weeks, so I haven't been off sick yet, but in my previous full time jobs, calling in sick was something I did too much, and got a warning for it in the end. I'm worried I'm not coping well enough, or will be able to continue to cope with full time work. It makes me feel like a failure, other people can do it!

Does anyone else find work stressful or difficult to manage?

I work in an of.fice at the minuet and there is a girl on my team who I dislike so much. She is a patronising, bully type who always tries to get people into trouble. It's horrible having the added stress of trying to avoid her withering stares and nasty remarks.

"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Work woes etc
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
I've had to leave pretty much every job I've had (all full time) because of my mental health and for ringing in sick too much. I recently had a formal meeting with the bosses because of all my sick leave. I've had disciplinary's in the past too in previous jobs because of all my sick leave or poor performance. 

I'm the same as you, I find stress and lack of sleep makes my episodes worse meaning I'm more likely to call in sick. I've now had to reduce my hours a bit to try and manage working while being unwell.

I often feel like a failure too, I've been pushing myself too hard since I started my current job in Jan, trying to work full time hours like everyone else but I've realised I can't do it and have had to accept that I have an illness and I'm not like "regular" people.

If it got too much for you do you think you'd be able to reduce your hours or anything or are they set as they are? You're not a failure for having bad days or struggling even though it may feel like it. I think there's a lot of people in the same boat as us out there.
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
I find it exactly the same, I started 7 weeks ago too and haven't called in sick. I am finding it really tough. I get really bad nightmares and not much sleep and it really isn't helpful. Have you thought about reducing your hours?

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:06 PM »
I could have written a lot of that myself. It's hard......and it does feel like you go round and round in circles.

Are they aware that you struggle with mental health issues? Would she be approachable enough to have a conversation with about how you feel. I know I had a manager once who because she was aware would help me to make sure I could keep working and would give me shortish notice annual leave days if I needed a couple of days off and tried to make sure my shifts were sensible (one of my issues now is a very unapproachable manager so I completely get it of that dosnt't feel doable)

if other people had to cope managing a mental health issue they might find it hard to work full time. It's easier said than done as I feel the same, but. Then try and remind myself 1. Of the times I've been incapable of working at all and 2. Of the number of people living on benefits (I'm not getting at those who are genuinely unable to work because of health issues mental or physical, I realise that for some people sometimes making though each day is as much hard work as a job and I've been there myself.) All you can do is try you best, and that's good enough.
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear