Author Topic: Couch to 5k  (Read 9721 times)

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Couch to 5k
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Thanx pride, you did help thanx  ;D

I walk every day anyway because of my dog... Week six sounds hard! I can't imagine running for that long when I'm struggling with 60 seconds lol... I will trust the podcast though and repeat weeks if I have too...

It's rest day today but it's a lot cooler than it has been and I'm not aching so itching to go out... Might just go for a really long walk instead...

The other app you mentioned sounds good but I use my itouch I'm not sure the gps would work without internet? I could take my phone as well but it's too much to carry with my keys, itouch, poo bags and the lead!
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
Yeah i can imagine carrying all that is a pain, i have to take my iPad with me because i don't have a phone any more which can be rather weighty when i'm running. I was the same as you though, it started out really rough and i couldn't imagine doing 3 minute runs, it looked really daunting and made me feel rather anxious if i'm worried but i stuck to it and it worked out so you can do it too i'm sure. Keep at it though and you'll be running 5ks in no time!

Pride.
The Seven Deadly Sins are a part of us, don't fight them, accept them.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
Thanx mbwa ... On the couch to 5 k it's 3 runs a week, do you think that's enough? I used to run about 5 times a week and maybe do a spin class or go to the gym once too...

I have a habit of 'all or nothing' thinking which means I launch myself into things and harm out quickly... But also 3 times a week doesn't seem enough?

Three run per week programmes are definitely enough to get fitness back at the start of training, much better to stick with a 3 run per week programme and take it slow than launch in too fast and get injured. Although psychologically it's easy to be all or nothing about running, physically your re-adaptation to running needs time, and part of that time is recovery as muscles repair from readaptation, rest days are a really important part of training.

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Can't believe you carry your iPad with you! That def wouldn't fit down my bra with my keys and poo bags  ::P:

Thanx mbwa... I have stuck to the rest days... Completed week one today and it was so much easier now I'm not aching... Helped that I picked a flatter route this time too...looking forward to, but apprehensive about week two !

I'll let you know on Sunday how my first week two run goes!
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »
Yeah thenipad can be heavy but I have a drawstring bag to take with me so it's not too bad wish I could take some water with me at times though. But yeah I can imagine it wouldn't fit on your person very well haha. Hopefully you won't ache much. You can do week two though it seems daunting but it's easier than you think just keep going and you'll be fine and if you ant do it then that's fine too as you still did something and there's still the rest of the week to get it perfect

Keep us informed.

Pride.
The Seven Deadly Sins are a part of us, don't fight them, accept them.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 04:18:33 AM »
Good luck! you got it spot on when you said you were going to try to trust the podcast, learning to trust training plans and not tamper with them too much is something even very experienced runners struggle with sometimes. Not that you'll always need to run with a training plan, but as a way to achieving a specific goal (in your case getting back into it/5K), they are great. Hope you enjoy it!

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
Well I failed miserably last time at couch to 5 k ... But have lost abit of weight and have just completed a park run (tho I cheated slightly) I was last and very slow even the stewards had gone when I got to certain points  :blushing: but I did 4.6km which is ok... Mostly walking...

I'm going to give the podcast another try this week I think I want to do another park run but run the whole way... So I'm starting again! Hopefully my ankle will hold up this time...

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
Has anyone ever used a pedometer, if so, can you recommend one?
Strength, courage and wisdom.