Author Topic: Exercise!  (Read 8419 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Exercise!
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
I need to up my exercise levels. I do a bit of walking at the moment, but not enough by far. I know that exercise has a positive effect on mood, self- esteem, weight, physical health etc. I'm starting a walking group on 9th April, but would like to start increasing my activity from now. I really enjoy swimming, so will be starting that again. They do a swim card that I'm going to enquire about, as it will be less expensive that way. I am also going to start walking instead of getting the bus. Sometimes having a bus pass makes getting the bus too easy, but I'm going to really try to push myself to walk.

Are there any other ways of introducing more activity into my day? I don't want to do too much too soon, as I really am awfully unfit. I'm open to any ideas though! :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline TheChosenZen

• Standard Member
  • Silver Member
Re: Exercise!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
Personally, when it comes to sports, I'm just out their, just due to ages, it's difficult to find sports clubs. But have you looked for Badminton clubs in your area? I also LOVE making aims for myself, for example, I've done the 5K race for life, and will be doing the 10K soon! And I've taken my time to prepare for that, many people walk the Race 4 Life, but it's such an amazing experience when you're done, and whether you come first or last, it doesn't really matter, because you did it and that's a massive achievement, hope for the best and expect the worst.

You also find walking quite thrilling by the sounds of things, do you walk to the shops and to work maybe (If you work)? We often find our selves stranded when it comes to cold weather though, but I say, wrap up warm and just go for it! You don't need to go to far! And times like this, are amazing to build snow men ;) (If you have snow like us) :P

Snow in March, really can't get better than that!
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go. Dr. Seuss
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
Grab a camera, a warm coat etc decent foot wear and go to the nearest park or nice place to walk. Set yourself a challenge, keep walking until you have a picture of a list of objects.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Bethy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
Starjumps whilst you wait for the kettle to boil!

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I don't know if you like animals but maybe you could visit a local dogs home and take a dog out for a little walk? Or maybe when your mum visits you can go for a walk together and maybe stop in a pub or somewhere for a rest / drink? You sound really positive though :) yay

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »
Thank you all. Some great suggestions! ;D

I really like the camera and park idea. I don't have a camera, but my phone has a pretty decent one on it. There's a big wooded area near to where I live so I could go there. There's a bit hill to climb to get there so that will be good practice!

There is a RSPCA place near me that likes volunteers to walk dogs, so I could enquire. :)

I'm going to go swimming tomorrow. Bit worried about it for various reasons, but I really enjoy it. If I can swim lengths for 30 minutes, I think that'll be a good start. Hoping it won't be too busy because of the school holidays!
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
I'll start by saying i'm with you all the way here!

For one reason and another i've let my exercise slip and i've been feeling sluggish and tired and horrible as a result, so i've been thinking about starting to get back into it again myself!

The weather has been realy bad recently, making going outside pretty difficult and unpleasant so i'm going to try and start with indoor exercise! Do you have an xbox or console that you can do exercise with? My bf has an xbox with connect and we have a few exercise type games and they record your calories b**nt etc, it's also quite fun to use and you can just do it in the living room!

Once the weather picks up, which it hopefully will soon, walking will be nice, especially come spring / summer.

I know it sounds a bit silly but even just putting some music on and giving the house a vigorous clean, with hoovering involved can help get your heart rate going and warm you up.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »
Yay go Terri go :) let us know how it goes x

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
I went to a pilates class today. It was really fun. I think exercise is much easier to keep up if you find something you enjoy. I do have gym membership but I am guilty of not using it very often, especially while the weather is bad. Hopefully when spring finally arrives we will all gain some motivation to exercise more. xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline smiler

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • one way or another it is possible to succeed
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
Grab a camera, a warm coat etc decent foot wear and go to the nearest park or nice place to walk. Set yourself a challenge, keep walking until you have a picture of a list of objects.

love it awesome idea

another idea is rather than bus is bike

i dont know which country your in but i know now a days in england most citys have cycling groups

for ametuers as well as those more well exercised

also if you have a walking or cycling partner

you naturally with out thinking about it work harder

because of the human nature to compete

who going get to the top first

who ever gets to the pub last buys the drinks etc
no one wants to know
no one cares
those who do want to know,
  want to know so they can use it against me
hurt, pain, anger, destruction, death and hatred, the story of my life
all i hope for is some one i can love trust and believe loves and cares for me and wants whats best for me